S p i d e r id needed please !!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it really isnt necessary to kill it... you just have the same attitude as all the people who think the only good snake is a dead snake. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean it has to die.
I am absolutely terrified of spiders but I never kill them! If I know there is one in the house I cant sleep, I dont get as many know though cause my house is full of wild geckos (love watching them run around the walls, so do my cats which get a few squirts of vinegar and water when I catch them doing it)

Trappy for shore and looks to be a male but like Richoman_3 said some better pics would help.
If you have had a fair bit of rain in the days leading up to seeing the spiders than that is most likely the reason.

lol I was a pet tarantula but I dont really like huntsmans in the house, just as I like snakes but I wouldn't necessarily want a wild one coming into the house.
When I see a huntsman I just close my eyes until its gone, go to sleep and in the morning its gone - tah dah :)

Thanks for your rude reply, what I was meaning is I would bring in pest control to ID the spider and search for a nest and no i do not condone the killing of snakes or any animal for that matter, but in saying that if I found a snake I would certainly be ringing a snake catcher to come and remove it!!!! Better to be safe than sorry with inquisitive kiddies running around!!!!

It is a trappy and is not dangerous (to most people, you could be the lucky individual that is allergic).
Also to those interested.. In a few funnel web species both males and females are equally venomous and in some of these species both the male and female are much more venomous than the often referenced Sydney funnel web male.

A mygalomorph spider (the primitive type that includes the trapdoor and funnel-web spiders) to see its underneath would be one sure way of a positive id ....solar 17 [Baden]

i dunno if their distribution stretches as far as your neck of the woods, but it also kinda resembles the barking spiders that i've seen up here.

Thanks for your rude reply, what I was meaning is I would bring in pest control to ID the spider and search for a nest and no i do not condone the killing of snakes or any animal for that matter, but in saying that if I found a snake I would certainly be ringing a snake catcher to come and remove it!!!! Better to be safe than sorry with inquisitive kiddies running around!!!!

thats not what your reply sounded like at all... im sorry if you thought it was rude but that was the message i was getting from your post.

Hey everyone !!!
Thanks for all the answers....

Got an ID on the Spider..shoot off a pic to Jas a Reptile City and he knew right away ... then got on2 a spider guy that lives 5 places down from my house and he gets them at his....
ADELAIDE HILLS TRAP DOOR...
depending on where they are found the colour will be a little diff but thats the sucker!
Caught another one to show the Spider man..who is also a pest control man...said it was one of the biggest ones he has ever seen ..and the one i caught was no where near as big as the other few :O
cant find traps anywhere.. got him stummped about that...he thinks coming from neighbours yard. ( fingers crossed ) :)
Would love to see any other ones like this ...
anyone spotted anything else in their yard that they have never seen b4? besides E.T and UFOs hahah :)

cheers
Zeke

Not unusual for males to wander, seem to to do it more often in Spring but still move around in late Summer/ Autumn generally after rain. Dont worry about it, theres not a hell of a lot you can do. As the weather cools down they will stop their wandering.

you cant tell most of the trappys exact species without taking a look at them under a scope.
im not that good with trappys but looks like its a euoplos sp. :)

How could anyone identify it correctly from that crappy photo? Beats me!

This is may be it…

Infraorder Mygalomorphae
Superfamily Avicularoidea
Family: Idiopidae Simon, 1892
Genus: Blakistonia Hogg, 1902
Species: Blakistonia aurea Hogg, 1902
Common Name: Adelaide Trap Door Spider

A note on funnel-webs

Thanks to those would put in the effort to correct the misconceptions about Funnel-webs. There are two genera of funnel web spiders, Atrax and Hadronyche . Sydney Funnel-webs (Atrax robustus) are the only species now in that genus. Hadronyche have about 40 species. The Sydney Funnel-web was long thought to be Australia’s most toxic spider. The Hadronyche grouped vary according to species, with some consider not dangerous. Recent research has shown the venom of the Northern Tree Funnel-web (Hadronyche fomidabilis) to be several times more toxic that the Sydney Funnel-web, and unlike that species, the female tends to be the more potent.

Not only does toxicity vary between species and sometimes between sexes, it also varies in individual spiders. It would seem that toxins are produced in an on-going basis and if the spider was in good condition and has not eaten (used its venom) for some time, the toxicity can increase significantly.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back