100% het for albino

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D.E.L.E.T.E

Not so new Member
Banned
Reaction score
can someone please explain what 100% het for albino means

i kinda have the idea that its a snake that carries the albino gene and if bred with another snake its possible to produce an albino snake, is this true?, and what % chance is there of of this occuring

and also what dose het stand for ?

cheers stoney

You get a 100% het when you breed a albino with a normal

There is a lot of information regarding Mendelian Inheritance online. I'll PM you a link to an article that explains all the basics..

so the offspring carry that gene and than can be bred to produce more albinos or ??

thanks melissa

If you breed 2 albinos you get all albinos, if you breed 2 hets you get some hets, some albino and some normals. I can't remember the % but I have an article about it somewhere I will see if I can find it.

Het is short for heterozygous. You carry two copies of every gene. If they are the same version, you are homozygous for that trait; if they are different you are heterozygous for that trait. If a snake is homozygous for albino, it lacks the melanin pigment and is coloured white, yellow, orange. If it is heterozygous for albino ("het") it can make pigment and looks perfectly normal, but carries the albino gene. You cannot tell the difference from an animal that is homozygous normal by looking. 100% het means that one parent is an albino so that the offspring is guaranteed to have at least one copy of the albino gene.

thanks guys it all makes sence now might study up on it a bit longer though to get my head around all the information properly. think i might just be better of buying a straight up albino first
cheers stoney

If you get an albino you know exactly what the genetics are. Of course, they are also awesome animals, so you can't go wrong!

If you like albinos, and can afford one, why not get one? Otherwise it's one generation before you have a 25% chance at albino hatchies.

if you breed an albino to a 100% het do you get all albinos?

Sorry for the q...but i fell this is on the same topic so yea.

Thanks
Harry

im guessing you want a cheap way to get albinos.. if you buy a 100% het.. it is what it says.. no matter what it is carrying the albino gene..(Aa)
If you breed that with a normal snake (AA) you will get 50% hets (Aa) and 50% normals(AA)...
if you breed a 100%HEt (Aa) with an albino (aa) you will get approx 50%albinos and 50% 100% hets
If you breed a 100% Het with another 100% het you will get 25% Normal (AA), 50% Het (Aa), and 25% albinos (aa)....
Of these snakes the ones that are not albino will all look the same.. they will look normal.. and you would have to market them as 66% poss het.. as just by probability alone there is a 33% chance that the normal looking hatchies are actually normal.. if u have bad luck you could have ALL normal looking NORMALS!! orrrrr... conversly.. you could have ALL normal looking HETS!!! its all about chance!!
hope that helped

SO!! in conclusion.. the cheapest surefire way to get albino's would be to purchase two 100% Het albino snakes and breed them until you get an albino..
If you want to spend less you can buy a 66% poss het and cross it with a 100%.. and JUST HOPE that you are lucky and the Poss het actually was HET.. its up to you.. and how lucky you are..lol

so for example if i got my coastal who is normal then i got a 100%het female coastal and bred them and had 10 hatch 5 of those would be normal and 5 100%het so to then get an albino would i then just rear one of the 100% hets and put it back over the mother i would get an albino can you "line breed" witsnakes or would i need a 100% het from an unrelated clutch

The cheap way to get albinos is to save up and buy next year. By the time you feed and house two animals for three years, then have the expenses associated with breeding, you may as well have bought an albino in the first place. With prices falling as they have been, start saving now and buy one next year. It really is the best way to go.

so for example if i got my coastal who is normal then i got a 100%het female coastal and bred them and had 10 hatch 5 of those would be normal and 5 100%het so to then get an albino would i then just rear one of the 100% hets and put it back over the mother i would get an albino can you "line breed" witsnakes or would i need a 100% het from an unrelated clutch

Just to be clear, if it has albino genetics, then it has been crossed with a darwin at some point, so is not a coastal. There have been a few threads on this subject in the last day, so I thought I might just bring it up again :)

Yes, you are right, if you bred that animal to a non-albino, you would get 50% normals and 50% hets. You could not tell the hets from the normals in that clutch as they all look alike. But if you were to take a het from that clutch and put it back over the mother, well, just reading from the info above, you would have a 25% albino clutch. The problem is that you would not be able to identify the hets, so you would have to get lucky. So take from that what you will, but at least two generations to albino coastal crosses, if you are lucky.

Remember also that the percentages are the chances of each embryo inheriting certain genes from the parents, so the percentages are only a guide, there is no guarantee that you will get what is predicted.

The cheap way to get albinos is to save up and buy next year. By the time you feed and house two animals for three years, then have the expenses associated with breeding, you may as well have bought an albino in the first place. With prices falling as they have been, start saving now and buy one next year. It really is the best way to go.

I suppose I could have just as well said . . . I agree with pythonmum's advice :)

Plus, that way you get an albino darwin, not an albino darwin cross coastal :)

Just to be clear, if it has albino genetics, then it has been crossed with a darwin at some point, so is not a coastal. There have been a few threads on this subject in the last day, so I thought I might just bring it up again :)

Yes, you are right, if you bred that animal to a non-albino, you would get 50% normals and 50% hets. You could not tell the hets from the normals in that clutch as they all look alike. But if you were to take a het from that clutch and put it back over the mother, well, just reading from the info above, you would have a 25% albino clutch. The problem is that you would not be able to identify the hets, so you would have to get lucky. So take from that what you will, but at least two generations to albino coastal crosses, if you are lucky.

Remember also that the percentages are the chances of each embryo inheriting certain genes from the parents, so the percentages are only a guide, there is no guarantee that you will get what is predicted.

I suppose I could have just as well said . . . I agree with pythonmum's advice :)

Plus, that way you get an albino darwin, not an albino darwin cross coastal :)

yeah i dont really like the idea of having to cross them i'd prefer to get a albino of a different species than to cross breed a beautiful coastal or darwin just to get a snake with no colour but that just imo..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back