Het for albino Bredli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, this thread gets more humorous every time I read it.......

any serious herp keeper with your "experience" would have at least minimal proof of such a claim before placing an ad
let alone one with false photos as representation of the animal, as nothing more than a consumer in this hobby its apparent this is pretty sus......

Nato

Last edited:
braids...you don't, out of a het to het mating you will get (APPROX.) 33% albinos 33% hets & 33% normals now anything that is not showing albinism is called a "possible het" and anything that is not said roughly in those words to put it plainly is flexing the truth and to repeat what has been said a (100% het) is albino mated to a normal snake....Baden
I thought you got 25% albino, 25% normal and 50% het. So out of the normal looking ones, 66% of them would be het.

I thought you got 25% albino, 25% normal and 50% het. So out of the normal looking ones, 66% of them would be het.

Yes, that looks right. Good catch! :) Why the ratios don't come out exactly, barring other factors, is because the odds given are for each egg, not for the clutch.

just a question... in other animals you can test for albinism (to determine if it is het or normal), why is this not done in the snake industry? would people actually go to the vet to do a DNA test to determine if their poss hets were actually hets?
then again it raises the issue.. people may get their snakes tested.. realize that only one of the hatchlings are actually het.. and just sell the all of the normal looking ones as poss hets even though they tested and found out they were not het at all..

just a question... in other animals you can test for albinism (to determine if it is het or normal), why is this not done in the snake industry? would people actually go to the vet to do a DNA test to determine if their poss hets were actually hets?
then again it raises the issue.. people may get their snakes tested.. realize that only one of the hatchlings are actually het.. and just sell the all of the normal looking ones as poss hets even though they tested and found out they were not het at all..
Because they would first have to identify the gene responsible which would take some time, then take a DNA sample and test if it has that gene. Then it wouldn't discount another faulty gene leading to albinism because of the many faulty genes that could lead to it. All in all it would be a time consuming and expensive test.

its not possible to test the genotype of any animals now... the only way is breeding them to a known genotype (double recessive) and see what pops up.

in the future it probably will be as we gain a better understanding of coding genomes

Yes I believe if they could they sooooo would

i feel it is quite possible.. and i dont think it is far out of my reach.. im thinking this might make a good honours/masters project.. in two years time that is.. would i have any support? collecting dna/blood samples of snakes and cataloging them to understand the genetics of snakes a little better (ie. taking blood samples from albino snakes/normal snakes from various peoples collections?).. im only in early years.. but i have many years ahead to learn and get this on the road if its a valid path to follow..

In this picture, you can see my GTP who is het for red eyed lucy...
40920_1500771954183_1080709962_1427309_5035947_n.jpg

If you squeeze your eyes I'm sure you'll believe me :D

i feel it is quite possible.. and i dont think it is far out of my reach.. im thinking this might make a good honours/masters project.. in two years time that is.. would i have any support? collecting dna/blood samples of snakes and cataloging them to understand the genetics of snakes a little better (ie. taking blood samples from albino snakes/normal snakes from various peoples collections?).. im only in early years.. but i have many years ahead to learn and get this on the road if its a valid path to follow..

I may be wrong but I think another member (Sdaji) might have already done this, I know he was using DNA to detect sex but he might have also done it for albinism and other traits.

im not sure what petlink is.... so probably =] gumtree is just amazing. As long as your weary of scammers =/

thanks for that geck82... im sure it wont hurt if i send him a PM and ask :D

Well i just paid 20grand,hope she was telling the truth.Otherwise ive got a expensive Bredli..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back