New Bristlenose Catfish.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjaayyddeenn

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey just brought 2 little bristlenose catfish and i dont know what to feed them?

they should be able to sustain them selves on algae and left over from the fish/turtles etc... what are they in with and do you have live plants... if there are no live plants you can drop in a algae tablet (from pet shop) once a week and they will be fine:)

Soak nori in water for a few min and put it in, sinking catfish pellets, or my fav a bit of zucchini (can use quite a few vegies, just look it up) mostly peeled and just wedge it under a stick or something on the bottom, they love it. What sort of bristlenose?

They also enjoy cucumber slices. They'll eat most pelleted foods.
And by bristlenose catfish, I assume you mean Bristlenose plecostomus, correct?

get sinking algae pellets or zuchinni but zuchinni can be messy so ive only used algae pellets when i had mine

You find zucchini messy? Ive never had a problem but other things in the tank as well.

when i me and my dad bred them we used to have set up with heaps of different bristlenose on there own no other fish and i foound it got stringy and went everywhere but makes peppermint bristlenose look REALLY nice

Ah yeah I get you, the other fish get to it before it does that. My pbn love it, so do the turtles but they eat everything they can fit in their mouth.

haha true have you ever tried breeding them? the best looking bristlenose ive seen is the albino longfins there really nice

I was thinking about getting a little pipe to see if they breed but I dont mind either way, I have enough fish tanks and fish lol. Im hoping the oscars dont breed bahahaha.

yer i hate it when things breed you didnt want to just like snails in fishtanks

Bristlenose are different to plecos.

Make sure you also have wood in the enclosure as they like to eat the wood occassionally.

algae wafers, you can buy a small pack for around $5 from pet shops. just break one in half and drop it in one or 2 times a day:)

I'm assuming if he doesnt know what they eat he would be unlikely to know their scientific name....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back