What should i be feeding my snake?????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

happyherps

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey just thought i'd start a thread on what you should be feeding your snake because i often see threads saying i just got a n ew snake what should i feed it or i won a snake in a ballot not sure what age it is but its this long this wide etc what should i be feeding it i just thought a thread with that sort of info on it would save people some time with posting and having to wait for replies so what species and at what age/length/girth/weight etc should be for what size food item pink mice/rats to day old chickens/quail rabbits and stuff for example a 1 month old hatchling at 30cm long weighing 26g and is 4cm around should be on pinky mice/rats depending on species and breeders preference being relativly new i should prob not be giving this advice but i thought some more experienced reptile keepers could add thier knowledge and experience with this matter and we could maybe help those in need of a good guide of what to do in those situations when they just dont know

It's a pretty simple thing most of the time. For carpets it should be about 20% of the body weight and it should leave a nice bulge. For Ants it's a bit smaller than this though. I don't know the percentage for them but hopefully one of the Ant pros can add their knowledge

feed them lamingtons or other cakes of there chosing!

kidding,

like saximus said, a decent sized feed should be about 10 to 20 % of that snakes body wight, and form a visible bulge when its in its stomache.

Do you have to feed them,im of to get some rodents now,poor buggars must be hungry by now..

I have heard of people feeding steak and other meat to snakes I'm not promotiing this or have ever thought of doing it but what do you guys think??

I'll feed my snakes what ever they will eat. Some snakes like smaller meals other more on the larger size, I have some albinos who will only eat full grown mice (and their only this seasons hatchies) while on the latter, I have a jungle that will only eat small fuzzy mice. I also keep in mind the species that I'm feeding... A coastal can manage a much bigger feed then a gtp. I stick to mice and rats, but rabbits and other domesticated rodents and birds can be used. Every situation is different.

Ok fair enough so you reckon keep them on their natural food source??

I feed mainly birds these days, quail and chicks. Size depends on snakes body size more than head size, I like a lump about double the size of the largest part of the snakes body and should take with good temps about 7 to 10 days to digest.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Ok fair enough so you reckon keep them on their natural food source??

If thats the case i better go bush to catch some lizards-snakes to feed the BHPs.All depends on what you have available,no point in feeding a large carpet dozen mice,a large rat is a better option.If you have hatchies-juveniles etc then small rats-weaner mice etc would be ideal,some will even take quail.

I have heard of people feeding steak and other meat to snakes I'm not promotiing this or have ever thought of doing it but what do you guys think??
Steak? Damn,very posh snakes,seems like strange,confusing effort.

im wondering what everyone feeds GTS's because ive heard of them eating fish etc and im wondering if fish will be a sustainable diet

Steak? Damn,very posh snakes,seems like strange,confusing effort.

Ever worked out the wieght to price ratio of rodents. Steak is pretty damned cheap. At the large end of the scale your looking at $30 tp $40 a kilo for rabbits and xxl rats. At the bottom end the kilo price on pinkies is phenomenal. Be great if steak was a true option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back