A BHP question?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vickimaree

Reaction score
I am wanting to get a BHP, are males or females easier to handle?

Doesn't quite work that way.

It depends on the individual animal, not sex. Some snakes tolerate handling well and others don't.

Very true Melissa. Also, beware of the feeding response displayed by this species. A snake that is a kitten one moment can turn into a tiger if it thinks there is a feed coming. Don't let your superior size fool you into complacency, if your BHP thinks it's feeding time, they see you as nothing more than a big juicy pinky rat.

I am wanting to get a BHP, are males or females easier to handle?

Hey snakes dont generally differ in handling between sexes. With BHP i find mine bluff alot, with lots of hissing and lots of head buts where a morelia would normaly bite. But in saying that they handle really well most of the time but it is different from any other python in aus. They are more like big worms and wont hold on or constrict you like carpets or ants.
Hope this helps
Cheers D

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Women are crazier in every species.
No but seriously it all depends on the individual.

True - females are generally crazier, but my attached pic is from my crazy male bhp. My girl is a sweetheart, my boy is a little ******, pic is when I changed his waterImageUploadedByTapatalk1307153287.064224.jpgthat was after I cleaned it up

Our BHP is an absolute sweetie, he handles really well, has never bitten (or even tried to) anyone. And he's toilet trained. Hits the lawn and poops away!

We just open the lid and if he wants to come out he does. If he doesn't want to we leave him alone. He's 18 months old, just under 2 meters. Never had the feeding response craziness. We slip his meals in while he's hiding and let him discover it himself (doesnt take long)and he doesn't associate the food with us. We are just a curious novelty to climb all over!

Hey phantom, are they a breeding pair? What age/ size?

I am working out on the western side of the Gulf of Carpentaria and they are all over the place. 100% wild but no objection to gentle handling. Cant sex them (I try not be intrusive) I love em. Great snakes!

Hey Steve , they will be a breeding pair, but they are only about 20 months, both weigh about 1.5kg. Boy has been like that since I got him as a youngster. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307189396.058392.jpg
Girl is just a delight, and very curious.

yea I'm with you. they are more curious than nasty. Good luck with the breeding, I would love to try the breeding thing but I'm away from base too much. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back