'proper' Blue tree snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goldfish get sick easily and having seen and heard about the nasty medications they used to treat goldfish my theory is it is in the blood of the goldfish and gets transfered to the Snake. (Copper sulphate is one of those medications)

Copper Sulphate is rarely used anymore as a fish medication. The only common additive to an aquarium I can think of that has it in would be any of the snail killers for getting rid of nuisance snails.

It is highly unlikely that any of the fish breeders, wholesalers or retailers would be using it for fish.

Malachite Green (not copper sulphate but a copper based chemical) on the other hand is commonly used but I do not know of any detrimental effects it can have on reptiles. One of the vets that frequents these forums could tell for sure. I do know it doesn't bother turtles at regular dose rates.

I would be more worried about the antibiotic side of things which would be far more prevalent I would imagine in high intensity farmed food fish.

With goldfish cultured in ponds they may come into contact with Organophosphates such as neguvon used to treat Lernia and Argulis or Praziquantal used for worms and flukes.

These would all be much more prevelant than Copper Sulphate.

Either way great looking snake and you may be onto something with the trout.

I feed mine mainly Asian House Geckoes which I can get for free but as mine are only greens I can't really compare.

After those pictures though I am going to have to find a blue myself:D

Cheers Andrew

You are %100 correct Andrew! I was talking with my local fish shop and asked what diseases gold fish are most prone to and how do they treat and Columnaris was the most common. White spot was another but thats more during the colder winter months.

New blue not eating.

Hi
My guy is fine with lizards but there aren't any around now. I have been able to get new-born mice, but he doesn't seem interested. This is the first Blue I have had, my previous reps being Burmese Pythons when I live in Asia, and feeding wasn't an issue. We had to keep kids away so they didn't eat the kids.

Can anyone suggest how to get him to take the mice without hassles.

Thanks in Advance

Hi
My guy is fine with lizards but there aren't any around now. I have been able to get new-born mice, but he doesn't seem interested. This is the first Blue I have had, my previous reps being Burmese Pythons when I live in Asia, and feeding wasn't an issue. We had to keep kids away so they didn't eat the kids.

Can anyone suggest how to get him to take the mice without hassles.

Thanks in Advance

Try scenting the mice and hold them in forceps and wiggle them around. If it eats lizards already scenting with lizard is probably more likely to be successful, but other things like chicken and fish can also work well. I have found that rodents are not very appealing them. Its a shame our stupid government doesnt let them eat a natural diet of frogs.

Depending on the enclosure its often easier to move them into a bucket or bin to feed them.

I've seen ones like that up here in the north .... they are something else that's for sure. Very very nice animal :D

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say thank you. I've spent the last 3 hours scouring every single thread on here for feeding/enclosure information to keep my CTS as happy as it's possible for him to be (especially as I'm completely head over heels for these little guys and would love to eventually get more), and your info about the trout is pure gold...and close to where I live.:D I'm thinking cooling the tank I keep my feeders in may prove problematic in Summer, but if I feed trout through winter and platys in Summer, that solves my temp problems nicely. He feeds beautifully on fish, but it's been quite difficult finding information on ideal or varied foods, so this is wonderful. Thanks!

And, if you ever have any of those blues (or a gold female) for sale....:)

i saw one of these at a breeders place when i picked up my costal carpet from him.. bloody stunning snakes arnt they....... I WANT ONE..

Nice Coloured ones go for $1000+(Gold,Blue,Black) , Common Greens I have seen for $100ea and that was a bargain, generally around $300-$500ea if im incorrect feel free to fix it up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back