unsuccesful snake hunt

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redelapid

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Went out into the bush decmorning, it was quit very sunny and warm. I had my camra first aid etc..... but no matter how hard i looked in the perfect conditions to find any basking snakes. I didnt find one.?

Unfortunately that is just how the cookie crumbles sometimes.
We have been to the NT 3 times now and only on our last trip did we see any snake, and then only on 1 night. Our trip last year should have been a perfect time of year to see snakes but for all our efforts all we saw were cane toads and a dead western brown.

This time of year isn't the best for herping, though it is possible to get lucky. Of course, the more you do it the more likely you are to find something
There was a thread started a few months ago on how to go about herping, it's in the field herping section, look for a sticky called 'A n00bs guide to herping". Thats worth having a read through to get some ideas.

The only way to know for sure that you will see reptiles is to go to the reptile house at the zoo.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that is just how the cookie crumbles sometimes.
We have been to the NT 3 times now and only on our last trip did we see any snake, and then only on 1 night. Our trip last year should have been a perfect time of year to see snakes but for all our efforts all we saw were cane toads and a dead western brown.

This time of year isn't the best for herping, though it is possible to get lucky. Of course, the more you do it the more likely you are to find something
There was a thread started a few months ago on how to go about herping, it's in the field herping section, look for a sticky called 'A n00bs guide to herping". Thats worth having a read through to get some ideas.

The only way to know for sure that you will see reptiles is to go to the reptile house at the zoo.

Sarah,
That is not the case at all.....i can go out on anyday of the year in queensland, nsw or vic and find snakes, it is just matter of the location and the method you use.

Cheers,
Scott

^^ i agree it depends where and what method you use, its not to cold i found a heap of snakes yesterday in sydney and going again now.....

Wow herpers who can gaurantee a snake. Gotta go out with you guys some time. :p

But I agree that if I really put the effort in today I could probably find a snake. I would say it depends more on the location than just the method used.

It also depends on how well you know the area. I went out to Nourlangie rock last night with an aquaintance and his girlfriend, i found nothing lol but he and his misses found a couple geck species and a slatey grey. But when i called it quits and went home i took a lil detour and found 4 different snake species in an area that i know pretty well.

I can agree with that.

An acquaintance sometimes comes over my way from SA and has trouble finding any frogs, when I go over there he shows me where they all are.

you have to go to the right places in sydney,and best place to look is under tin.
Sometimes even though its the coldest time of year and snakes are dormant you can still find snakes and some times even more than when the conditions are more favorable as bogans illegally dump rubbish in bushland which in turn becomes a home for snakes.
There is a junk yard i go to which always has brown and black snakes in cold time of year,and you have to catch them though dont expect them to sit basking in the sun waiting tom be photographed

Thats interesting the Spotted Browns over here seem to disappear from under the tin during the winter and start showing up again Aug-Sept.

thanks for the info guys. i found a snake last week while out in the bush so i thought i would find another seeing that the conditions were perfect but nevermine i will keep trying, snakes cant hide for ever lol........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back