guess sexing snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elapid@

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
guess the sex of these snake two common adders and rbb
not the best pics :)

......i was assuming the adders maybe both female
and maybe the rbb male ?
can get more pics if you like
just would like some other opinions

cheers steve

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

any one?

Attachments

• adder tail shot 2.jpg
    adder tail shot 2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 113
  • common adder tail.jpg
    common adder tail.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 114
  • rbb 012901.jpg
    rbb 012901.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
a guess is just a guess,ive sexed dozens and dozens of Black snakes and probing is the only reliable method,or popping the hemipenes,but still if they dont pop doesnt mean its automatically a female it could be a male who keeps his manhoods tucked away for safekeeping :)

BTW most black snakes you come across will be male,and males grow alot bigger than females,females are usually only a meter

but with adders you can often tell,that does look female with skinny short tail and not much room for hemipenes.
I still prob regardless

Adders look like girls to me, I havent seen enough rbbs to hazzard a guess on that one.

try poppin the hemipenes on the black snake for some practice,sometimes sperm plugs pop out also both indications that it is 100% male. If you look in there cloaca in spring they are dripping with sperm

heres one i prepared earlier lol poppin penes

31032011513.jpg

Last edited:
Rob,

tails sexing blacks is quite easy in the flesh.....you need to see enough of them though

Cheers

elapid

can you give us a ventral shot that is nice and sharp

Rob,

tails sexing blacks is quite easy in the flesh.....you need to see enough of them though

Cheers

elapid

can you give us a ventral shot that is nice and sharp

yep wont belong

ventral.jpg

is this good enough? for you scott

cheers steve

Last edited:
That angle is better but not quite there...70% confident on a male

The second adder is definitely a female but the first one is bit tricky. Can you post another shot?

that black snake certainly looks male,you dont really get females that robust,how long is it? remeber females are alot smaller only around 1m fully grown,although i have found a 1.23 m female. So if its big snake 1.4,1.6 or bigger thats male for sure :)

ive found females over1.3 mtres so length of rbb's isnt an accurate way to sex. ive never found it hard to visually sex many elapids especially black snakes. but i agree with the above, 2girls and a boy :D

you will have to record data on oversized females,i did alot of research on P.porphyriacus and looked at evidence supported in papers on sexual dimorphism in black snakes and the females quite often maxed out the smaller sizes suggested. This doesnt mean larger females dont exsist they just havent exsisted in the studies that where undertaken ive sited.
In my first post i suggested probing as i always do on these threads,but people are very persistant on posting pics of tails no matter how many times probing is suggested LOL

but if between the opinion of eipper,water rat,smitthy and myself all conclude 2 girls and boy i suppose thats 95% good enough :)

Either way ur odds are pretty good,50% chance you will get it correct..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back