Darwin python just turned snappy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

humpys

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Tis my first post on this forum and was hoping for some advice. We have a 1.5 year old Darwin Python who is extremely placid....until 3 days ago.

I call it a 'he' but we haven't had him probed so aren't really sure. He has been such a good snake. Great with us and great with kids.

As I said he has now turned snappy. We could tell he wasnt himself just by looking at him. We knew he was due for a feed so gave him a rat. He devoured it, no mucking around. We thought we should give him a 2nd one as the 1st was not massive and he was still searching. He gobbled this one down too. We left him be for a day and then I gave him a little rub. He was all good, his normal placid self.

Next day he looked cranky again. I just knew he wasn't happy but still proceeded to attempt to give him a rub. He bit me (just got my jumper).

My question is, why do you think he has changed (almost overnight). Is he going through puberty? Haha

If anyone could shed any light on his behaviour that would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

He still had a gut full of tucker
Snakes are at their most vulnerable when digesting food

Maybe thats the problem

How big are the rats compared to him? Are they leaving a nice big lump?
You shouldn't try handling him for at least three days after a feed.

i agree with longqi, you should leave at lest 3-4days not just one after a feed, i leave min a full week usually. or he might have mights and is very irratable.

Yeah the rats are probably a bit small. The size we wanted they didn't have. Ok good advice thanks to both of you. We will leave him another couple of days. Will keep you updated. Cheers

Hi again, thanks for your advice. We left him a full week and then he was back to his normal self again. I think he was just extremely hungry as well. The next lot of rats we buy him will be substantially bigger I think. Keeping him full for longer :)
Lisa

When some snakes are hungry,they will get snappy.Thats why you can never underestimate them at anytime.Ive owned some darwins and 95% of the time they were calm,but a big male i had went nuts,until he was fed..

The only time my little woma girl arcs up is directly after a feed. Best to leave miss Crabby Britches alone till she's finished digesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back