tyres and brakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marteed

Reaction score
For those of you who know about cars/4wd, I am about to get new tyres and my brakes done. Should I get an alignment and balance at the same time. I just dont want to be talked in to something I dont need. Would rather spend the money on my kids or animals
Thanks

Yes you should...although generally I believe it should be included in the price? It has when I've had tyres changed etc on my cars I've owned.

depend on a few factors,age & type of vehicle,current wear pattern,use in regards to 4x4 or other vehicle.Some vehicles require all 4 wheels to be aligned.But in saying all that anyone will tell you that tyres and brakes save or end lives everyday.People get either unsuitable or cheap fitted all the time and most are lucky not to have accidents.

Usually when they quote u prices on tyres that includes balancing ie if u buy 4 new tyres they include the cost of fitting and balancing. A wheel alignment is usually around about $100 and is money well spent as it helps even wear on the tyres there for making them last longer. As for breaks I usually buy them and fit them myself it's pretty easy :)

Every time you get your tires replaced, they balance them. You ever seen them spinning the tire on a machine to make sure it runs true? They're balancing it.

If you've had a wheel alignment recently, you shouldn't need one again.

As for the breaks, if you're just doing the pads you can do them yourself, but if you've let them go for a while you may have warped discs. You can do these yourself also, but if you've never worked on a car it may prove beneficial to get it done by a professional.

If you don't bleed your breaks correctly, you'll be in for a thrilling ride :D at the very least you'll have poor braking and the feel will change throughout the drive, as everything heats up and expands (if you've trapped air inside).

Also gemrock2hot - $100 for an alignment is pretty pricey.

new tyres should be supplied fitted, balanced and with a new tubeless valve. wheel alignment is extra, but worth it. wheel alignment is about $45

My baby is a LWB 92 pajero. I wouldnt trust myself to replace the brakes, would rather leave it to the pros., my luck i would end up with the car on top of me.
I bought it in Nov '10' and since has not had anything done to it.

Every time you get your tires replaced, they balance them. You ever seen them spinning the tire on a machine to make sure it runs true? They're balancing it. No cant say i have, not that i have paid attention!

As for its usage, I only use it to drive around town, no offroad. But I do know that they will need regular rotations as my little town has over 100 round abouts. Every second intersection there is a round about, so annoying!!

Every car needs periodical tire rotations, but 4x4's with big tires benefit especially.

If it's a '92 pajero you may want to look into wheel bearings, especially being a 4wd.

Every car needs periodical tire rotations- yes I am aware of that, but being in a town with so many round abouts the one wheel wares a lot faster, yeah?

If you rotate them properly no tire should wear any quicker than the other, unless you have directionals, then you can't rotate them properly (unless you get them refitted).

Also, if you don't hit roundabouts like a maniac you shouldn't have a noticeable difference in wear patterns...

Every car needs periodical tire rotations- yes I am aware of that, but being in a town with so many round abouts the one wheel wares a lot faster, yeah?

It could be that the camber is out on that wheel. Even if you rotate it will still wear that tyre more. So to even it out you would need to rotate them more often. I would get a wheel alignment they are only $40-$50 and make the car safer. Well worth the money.

I would like to see you tell that to the car owners of the sunshine coast!
You only have to look at the vehicles tyres to notice this, it is always the front passenger side.
And if you are reffering to me as being a maniac driver? If anything I am 'driving miss daisy' I constantly have people up my rear end and overtaking me where they can.
'abnrmal91' its not only my car that wears 1 more than the rest, sorry should have stated this. But thanks for your advice, :)

Last edited:
Wheel balance, rotating and balance is recomended on 4wds every 10,000 kms, and if you are getting new tyres I would definately spend the axtra and get the wheel alignment done as your Pajero has independent front suspension (From memory) and will need both the caster and camber checked if you want a long life from your tyres.

I would like to see you tell that to the car owners of the sunshine coast!
You only have to look at the vehicles tyres to notice this, it is always the front passenger side.
And if you are reffering to me as being a maniac driver? If anything I am 'driving miss daisy' I constantly have people up my rear end and overtaking me where they can.
'abnrmal91' its not only my car that wears 1 more than the rest, sorry should have stated this. But thanks for your advice, :)

I lived on the sunny coast for years... Lol.

Roundabouts aren't a good enough reason for your tires to wear ridiculously fast compared to ones on the other side, ESPECIALLY if you rotate them often. 4x4 tires are big, chunky heaps of rubber that need to be rotated often to keep the wear pattern even.

abnormal91 MAY be right about camber, but I doubt it UNLESS the inside/outside of said hoop is worn more than the other.

The whole point of rotating your wheels is so you get even wear, if you've let it get to the point that the left hand side (I'm assuming it's the left hand side of the car, since going around a round about the weight is transferred to the left while you turn right) tires are worn more than the right, you haven't rotated them often enough, if at all.

If banjo is right, and the 92 paj has IFS, and the suspension is sagging due to age, the camber could be off.

Every time you get your tires replaced, they balance them. You ever seen them spinning the tire on a machine to make sure it runs true? They're balancing it.

If you've had a wheel alignment recently, you shouldn't need one again.

As for the breaks, if you're just doing the pads you can do them yourself, but if you've let them go for a while you may have warped discs. You can do these yourself also, but if you've never worked on a car it may prove beneficial to get it done by a professional.

If you don't bleed your breaks correctly, you'll be in for a thrilling ride :D at the very least you'll have poor braking and the feel will change throughout the drive, as everything heats up and expands (if you've trapped air inside).

Also gemrock2hot - $100 for an alignment is pretty pricey.

That was a small town price for 4 wheel alignment lol :)

pedders are a rip off. but how do you do a 4 wheel alignment on a 1992 pajero with just front wheel adjustment? i think you are meaning thrust alignment. anyone charging $100 for a thrust or 4 wheel alignment is a rip off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back