vegetarians and vegans

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
depends really, personally i don't find it insensitive ...

If i was to be shielded and protected from every single thing that happens in this world i'd be a sad sap by now from being unable to cope.
That’s a hell of jump from not unnecessarily traumatising a kid. Can I suggest to you if you were exposed to “every single thing that happens in the world” whilst you were young you would be a lot worse than a “sad sap” and you would not be able cope with life. Don’t take my word for it - ask any trauma counsellor or any other mental health professional.

My point was why would a parent want to tell you that you were “eating a pet” while you were eating it? It worries me that you don’t find that insensitive. Why cause that degree of pain if you can avoid it? Surely it would be less painful to tell them either well before or well after the event.

I have no issue with children being exposed to animals being slaughtered for food, as such. It happens on farms and in backyards across the nation. Dad had chooks for eggs and we all knew that when they stopped laying they ended up on the dinner table. We were informed before any chooks were to be dispatched and we could choose to watch or stay inside. I think most of use progressed from seeing the feathers plucked in water, to the bodies hanging on the back fence to drain to watching the actual decapitation. Done properly and not traumatic.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back