Albino Darwins

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardloco

Reaction score
O.K., well I've heard that some Darwins can be on the.....snappy side.
But I've heard that albinos can be very tame, is this true?:?

P.S, if you want to post some pics or videos, feel free.:)

i have 2 albino darwins 1 has never bitten or showed any signs of being mean and the other is the devil reborn in a snake cant get her out of the cage without taking 10 bites + another 20 while holding her

most Albino animals have reduced vigour which in turn generally means they are more docile & tamer (this is my expererience anyway)... snaps of my pair plus a juvie offspring

Attachments

• DSCF0839.jpg
    DSCF0839.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0304.jpg
    DSCF0304.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF0165.jpg
    DSCF0165.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0148.jpg
    DSCF0148.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 92
Here is my little boy..... growing up quick!

DSC_2163.jpg

most Albino animals have reduced vigour which in turn generally means they are more docile & tamer (this is my expererience anyway)... snaps of my pair plus a juvie offspring

I agree with Joe. This has been my experience also. Also, normal Darwins are generally only snappy as hatchlings and more often than not grow out of it with age and regular handling.

I have a darwin het never striked at me or bitten me only snake I own that hasnt dont own any albinos but will be getting some soon but any snake will strike or bite if threatened just like any wild animal even if bred in captivity they have many years of instinct and surviaval in there genes

I keep both albino Darwins and hets, and have found that most of our albino's & hets are placid. But we do have a couple of snappy ones which makes things a little more interesting at cleaning time :lol:

Never had any drama's with any of my albino's

The Blondie line albinos are generally known for a placid temperament. There will always be exceptions, but my albinos and hets from that lineage have been fantastic handlers and have not shown any signs of reduced vigour due to albinism. The albino mutation affects a single characteristic - the ability to produce melanin. It does not affect many systems like the jag mutation, which has much more dramatic effects on the biology of the entire animal. Albino animals tend to be inbred at first to fix the recessive mutation, but that's not particularly a problem in carpet pythons and is regularly done with line breeding.

Last edited:
My 7 month old 100% Het was a snappy little turd up until about 2weeks ago. I believe he's a descendant of Blondie as his "parents" were from SXR breeding stock. In the last couple of weeks it's like he's tripped out on valium (read similar post). He's become very placid and inquisitive and this was a week prior and after a shed. :D

Hopefully this attitude adjustment continues. Not that it's been a problem 'cos being so small he's really just a "wooss", but I'd prefer him to be a bit more relaxed.

They are generally more even tempered placid animals than the wild type. Though there are always exceptions...

Here is 2 hatchlings... both displaying their attitudes well ;)

tn_ALBINODARWIN3.jpg

And some adults...

AA.jpg

A.jpg

AAAA.jpg

I have 1 albino Darwin and 1 normal, the normal Darwin is so placid. I have only had the albino for a couple of weeks but it seems just as placid. I don't actually understand why they have a reputation for being snappy. Non of the ones I have come across have been aggressive. They are a fantastic snakes.

They are generally more even tempered placid animals than the wild type. Though there are always exceptions...

Here is 2 hatchlings... both displaying their attitudes well ;)

tn_ALBINODARWIN3.jpg

And some adults...

AA.jpg

A.jpg

AAAA.jpg
That last pic looks really eval!!!:p

I have 3 darwin , 1 albino and I find my albino more flighty than the other none of them have ever looked like striking but she(the albino) just seems more flighty towards fast movements etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back