We want to fix your sliding glass woes!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What annoys you with the sliding glass doors on your enclosure(s)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the auto close function, what would happen if an animal had a part of itself on the way out of the enclosure while it was closing?
Would there be enough force to get it stuck or cause damage?
Without knowing the design, this would be a worry I'd have.

There will be a foam arrestor on the wall of your enclosure which we supply to be installed where the glass sits when closed. This primarily helps ensure that the glass panel doesn't have too much force exerted upon it when closing but will help reduce injury (but this is not the intention of this strip, as the former is its purpose). We will look at a gradual drop and rise ramp system which based on the enertia will slow the panel (but this changes drastically based on the weight of the panel and may prove unreliable in different situations). You can think of it the same as when you manually close the panel, you may accidently injure your pet regardless. It would be upto making sure the reptile is not in danger before closing. Let me emphasise that the closing wont happen until about 90mm from the close position. The auto close is not a snap or quick close, but should be gradual.

When we are closer to releasing this product you will all get to see a preview of it. And we hope to have this ready for the Gold Coast Reptile Expo for people to try out.

The gap between the panels will remain constant regardless of panel thickness. We will be going for a 3-4mm between panel gap.

The only way to achieve this is to use spacers/fillers in the track as the panel/glass will have up to 4mm movement within the track itself (4mm being the variation between the thickness of panels).

With no offence,as I do appreciate your R&D efforts but you seem to be trying to re-invent something that is already available. Self-closing sliding door system - Patent 4757642.
I think a 3-4 mm gap between panels is too wide and would prefer a 1-2mm gap.
With regard to the cleaning of tracks and easier sliding this is also available already. Glass Systems For Cabinets, Windows, Mirror Frames and Mirror Bi-Folding Doors.. The link is for the style of track and it is available with slotted sides/runners for easy removal of dust sand etc.

The cost of the aluminium track and self closing systems would make it non cost effective for the average keeper but may well prove viable for the more "up market" or "high end" enclosure.
With regard to finger smudges and handles my personal preference is for recessed pull handles (such as are available from Badden industries)which are cost effective ,allow full travel(overlapping) of the doors and give a positive grip without the the possibility of being snagged on clothing or hands and do not give the snake something to wrap its tail around.

The only way to achieve this is to use spacers/fillers in the track as the panel/glass will have up to 4mm movement within the track itself (4mm being the variation between the thickness of panels).

The track width per panel changes and not the gap between each as the carriages are a mirror of eachother.

With no offence,as I do appreciate your R&D efforts but you seem to be trying to re-invent something that is already available. Self-closing sliding door system - Patent 4757642.
I think a 3-4 mm gap between panels is too wide and would prefer a 1-2mm gap.
With regard to the cleaning of tracks and easier sliding this is also available already. Glass Systems For Cabinets, Windows, Mirror Frames and Mirror Bi-Folding Doors.. The link is for the style of track and it is available with slotted sides/runners for easy removal of dust sand etc.

We have already met with a Patent Lawyer in regards to this, and after going over the patent document and the other link, our design does not infringe on these designs. While it may have a similar concept, the execution differs. No offence taken :)

The cost of the aluminium track and self closing systems would make it non cost effective for the average keeper but may well prove viable for the more "up market" or "high end" enclosure.
With regard to finger smudges and handles my personal preference is for recessed pull handles (such as are available from Badden industries)which are cost effective ,allow full travel(overlapping) of the doors and give a positive grip without the the possibility of being snagged on clothing or hands and do not give the snake something to wrap its tail around.

We aim to have this system well within reach of most. Aluminium section is expensive if you are the one who has designed it and needs to order a minimum amount from the manufacturer. Most sliding glass/door systems are intended for home use and not enclosures.

The finger grips are only 2.5mm thick and fit under the corresponding panel - this has been confirmed numerous times. The grips also allow for the full hand/all fingers to grab onto, rather than one or a couple of fingers. The handles are intended for external use only and would never allow for a snake to wrap about it.

Please do not take this as any sort of offensive retaliation, just giving you the facts.
You are more than welcome to use whichever products you deem worthy for your situation.

The gap between the panels will remain constant regardless of panel thickness. We will be going for a 3-4mm between panel gap.

Due to the nature of the carriage system and the limitation of materials, there will be a greater gap than this, however we will be supplying a strip of clear acrylic with clear double sided tape to adhere to the rear glass panel which closes up this gap to the prefered 3-4mm.

We are getting the first prototype produced as we speak :)

This will be at the Gold Coast Reptile Expo!

================

The Sliding Track has finished its Design Phase and prototyping is underway! This will definately be at the Expo!

The track itself needs to sit in a 25mm high rail. This can be recessed into the floor/ceiling of your enclosure or siliconed into the enclosure. It also acts as a litter dam aswell (this should minimise sand/gravel in the track however there are holes to allow for material to be removed).

The track is made from stainless steel aswell.

The track will also have options depending on your application and will be sold without glass (specifications will be available on new glass/amending existing panels).

A prototype will be available to try out at the Gold Coast Reptile Expo :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just called the manufacturer and good news on all fronts. The channel and carriage has all gone well. The bearings are mounted and are easily accesible for maintenance when required.

Should be receiving this next week and fit it into the enclosures for the show, will show photos when this is done.

This has been 6 months in the making and we are nearing the end :)

There was a delay in the manufacture and so today I will be picking up the track from the manufacturer!

Exciting :D

Look forward to seeing pics of it! :)

Call me a perfectionist but we got it back and its just not quite right. Luckily I have devised a simpler and more effective and accurate way of achieving the same requirements. This in turn reduces the cost significantly.

The track system is good to go, however, since the glass slides easily it is possible that your reptile could escape and this is not ideal.

So initially we were going for a magnet system to hold the glass panel shut but that turned out not to work :(

So after a little brain storming I am on a winner to fix the problem! And as a bonus I am also solving the problem of a low profile "lock". This lock doesn't have a key and is by no means an anti-theft device, but it will stop the glass panel from being opened by your reptile but easily opened by you :). This "lock" will only be compatible with our track system and depending on the final design for it, may only be a couple of millimeters into the viewable area of the enclosure.

Also we would like to say that we are sorry that it has taken this long, but there is a process and it has to be followed :) For those who saw and appreciated the track at the Gold Coast Reptile Show - I know you can't wait...

In the meantime here is a small preview of what we have so far! (Those prices for the Bassiana Finger Grips was a show price only)

[video=youtube_share;BmSj5rYA9Xg]http://youtu.be/BmSj5rYA9Xg[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back