Frog and reptile expo

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the frog+reptile expo be held at the easter show

• No

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardloco

Reaction score
What do you think of the expo being held at the easter show?
Personally I think it sucks! I don't really like the easter show and that's bad enough, but now that a brilliant expo is held there.....don't like it!

I personally do not just dislike it but think it is bad for the industry. While this may give people who have not been exposed to keeping reptiles before some new viewpoint, it cuts out all the people in between. All us hobby keepers that may really enjoy reptiles probably are less able to justify spending huge amounts of money to go to the Easter show just for one day of reptile expo. Were reptiles even for sale on the day?

No they weren't for sale it was just the show animals. There are still plenty of "normal" expos where you can buy things/animals. The Easter show one was sandwiched between the castle hill and HHS show so I don't see how anyone missed out by having it there. I was talking to the organiser and he said a good percentage of people there didn't even know you could keep reptiles. So I can't see how bringing new interest like could be seen as a bad thing

From an interstaters point of view, We wont make the trip up to it at the Sydney show there are far to many problems with accomodation etc.
However if it was run on its own merrits as usual we would be there and i would think a lot of other interstaters would aswell.

For all the people who are saying you don't like it, can you explain why? Like I said, there were "normal" expos that you could have attended if you didn't want to go to the Easter Show. So far Beeman is the only one who has given an understandable explanation. If there was something that you want to see at the other expos that you think you are missing out on why not join your local herp society and make some suggestions for how to improve the local expos

No they weren't for sale it was just the show animals. There are still plenty of "normal" expos where you can buy things/animals. The Easter show one was sandwiched between the castle hill and HHS show so I don't see how anyone missed out by having it there. I was talking to the organiser and he said a good percentage of people there didn't even know you could keep reptiles. So I can't see how bringing new interest like could be seen as a bad thing

While there may be other expos it is easily arguable that this is the biggest expo. As far as I am aware it is the only multiple day one and does more than just show and sell animals like others do. I am not saying it is bad to show new people that reptiles can be kept, however I do believe those people already keeping them are much happier to put the effort into going to a specific separate expo which is run far better than the other expos with great displays and many different representatives from many places, such as people from interstate as beeman said. I just think that as much as this show may have been an interesting exibit at the Easter Show it leaves out all the people the industry should be targeting, that being the herp enthusiasts already out there in plethora.
I still think the introduction to new people of this hobby is important but to change the entire expo into this instead of say setting up one stand at the Easter Show to advertise the actual show and the hobby. I think would have been a better idea.

While there may be other expos it is easily arguable that this is the biggest expo. As far as I am aware it is the only multiple day one and does more than just show and sell animals like others do. I am not saying it is bad to show new people that reptiles can be kept, however I do believe those people already keeping them are much happier to put the effort into going to a specific separate expo which is run far better than the other expos with great displays and many different representatives from many places, such as people from interstate as beeman said. I just think that as much as this show may have been an interesting exibit at the Easter Show it leaves out all the people the industry should be targeting, that being the herp enthusiasts already out there in plethora.
I still think the introduction to new people of this hobby is important but to change the entire expo into this instead of say setting up one stand at the Easter Show to advertise the actual show and the hobby. I think would have been a better idea.
I totally agree, well said!

It wasn't run over multiple days at the show.
Did you attend the Castle Hill expo or the HHS expo at Penrith? IMO they were run just as well as the last one at Homebush. The HHS one still had the great Nev. Burns and Anthony Stimpson doing their nature talks. There were heaps of animals on display, including elapids from people's private collections. If more people got involved it would only have helped to improve it

Did you guys stop and think maybe they don't want to run a 3 day expo anymore?
Or maybe the organisers just wanted a year off.

Of course they should have a reptile event at the easter show every year.

I didnt like the idea of it being held at the Easter show ,. I cant stand the Easter show which is why I didnt go this year,. however I can see it has its good points as well,. its great to show the general public what reptiles are available as lots of people have no idea that you can keep reptiles as pets,. so I think it is great to draw more people into the hobby.
As long as the other new Castle Hill Show continues to run I cant see there being a problem with having the reptile display at the Easter show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reptile exspos are great for promoting the hobby but as the risk of the animals catching desease or bugs are just mind blowing with so many people walking through.As for the exspo at the easter show I hope ite not there again too pay 30 dollars just to see the exspo

We are happy to fly up to Sydney for the expo each year but didn't this year because it was combined with the easter show. If I am going to go that far and spend a considerable amount of money doing it, I don't want to have to put up with the huge crowds and then pay big $$$ to get into the show when the only thing I am interested in is the reptiles. And since this was the first time, who was to say that it wasn't just going to be a small section off in a corner?

I really enjoy the Sydney expo but if they continue to run it as part of the show then we will just have to be content with only going to the Melbourne expo each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back