Carbon Tax...What do you think???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmm. That poll was conducted by Galaxy for News Limited. I don't know what questions people were asked or how the poll was conducted so I can't comment further.

As for that article - I always enjoy a dose of emotive propaganda before bed. Helps me sleep. :)

I always find it amusing when someone believes they know what the rest of the country feels about the topic. Politicians do it constantly and are very annoying with it.

Hear, hear. It's so infuriating when the politicians presume to speak for me.

Last edited:
Its rubbish. I thought it was more of a statement to try get China/others to follow suit (not that they will). We only cause something like 2% of global greenhouse gas emissions so in the scheme of things, the difference in emissions as a result of this tax will be negligible. I fail to see the point.

I think it's sad that Australians are quibbling over a couple of bucks, when other countries are making a proper effort. Britain's pledged a 50% emissions reduction. I'm ashamed for Australia.

I think it's sad that Australians are quibbling over a couple of bucks, when other countries are making a proper effort. Britain's pledged a 50% emissions reduction. I'm ashamed for Australia.

I agree, I think it's sad that people revert to the "Woe is me syndrome" intead of looking at the bigger
picture.
It also get's me that people are quite prepared to hang it but don't come back with a better solution or option

Last edited:
It’s just a government TAX GRAB to pay off the extra 10 billion dollar black hole deficit.
It will not change a thing except make it look like the Labour government has done a good job at paying off the deficit for the next election in 3 years.
That’s why Labour says it will change the Carbon TAX to an Emissions Trading Scheme in 3 years. It’s so they can look like they are doing something for the environment. I love nature & too want to keep the planet healthy but this is just another Labour government SCAM.
We will all have to adjust to inflation because of this so called carbon tax.
Some jobs will go overseas & we are being fooled by the burecratic BULL, once again!
Tell me how it will help the environment when you tax the coal company’s & others then give them back huge compensation & then give all the welfare & elderly more money. When the company has more cost to the production they charge more so the shareholders keep getting there profits. The end user you at home, then gets reimbursed by the government. So do you really need to look elsewhere for a cheaper product? Say Electricity? They also own most of the greener electricity generation too! They will just bump up the green energy prices as well. There is still 50 years of cheap coal to dig up!
They don’t care about the environment when they have hungry shareholders to please. :)
Seriously who is fooled by their carbon tax? Don’t just listen to a government that needs the carbon Tax to rake in the 10 billion dollar short fall of the deficit they have realized. They will tell you anything so they can get re-elected in 3 years’ time.
Look at what the non-government scientist are saying! They are saying this is a natural occurrence that has happened for billions of years & our measly CO2 levels make no difference to what volcanos, earth quakes & wild fires have done since time & not since religious time….. loll
Even though I didn’t vote Labour party I am not going by what the Liberals are saying either but real non bias scientist!
I did vote for Rudd but not Gillard, she/It has to go & the sooner the better!
I have taken a great interest in this topic & have read a lot over the last 6 months I feel I am safe in saying I’m not rejecting a carbon tax for any reason apart from a carbon tax is only good for the government. We the commoners will lose out & for no gain to our environment.

Commoners, translation = Not wealthy, powerfull, dominant or politician. :)

If you want to learn what the big companys are about in the world then down load the zeitgeist movies. Some of it is a bit far feched but a lot of it is the real deal. (www. zeitgeistmovie .com)

Last edited:
It’s just a government TAX GRAB to pay off the extra 10 billion dollar black hole deficit.
I’m not rejecting a carbon tax for any reason apart from a carbon tax is only good for the government. We the commoners will lose out & for no gain to our environment.

Just what do the government do with all these ill gotten gains? They spend it on our country to fulfill the needs of the country. Ideally it is paid to the more sensitive production sector to make them more competative against the heavier polluters. I must say it seems rediculous to tax the polluters and then susidise their product so they can continue to pollute, but that is part of the inefficency of beaurocracy!

If there is a 10 billion black hole then it needs to be filled by us, the people of Australia. The government on our behalf can either spend less or increase income but that is a different issue to a carbon tax.
It is hard to argue either way using information which has been media washed. Until the detail is released we are only barking at shadows but I support the principle of putting the real cost on polluters and encouraging clean energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poll: Australian “Carbon Tax” Wildly Unpopular

There are some numbers there from what they say are recent polls
60% against the carbon tax.
28% for the tax
12% undecided

With 75% people polled believing we will be worse off with little to no benefit.

you might want to check the poll sample size, probably under 1000 people, galaxy isn't too hot on "actual" polling ;)
they did one of gay marriage, and somehow the poll was only done in mainly religious areas ;)

Look at what the non-government scientist are saying! They are saying this is a natural occurrence that has happened for billions of years & our measly CO2 levels make no difference to what volcanos, earth quakes & wild fires have done since time & not since religious time….. loll
Even though I didn’t vote Labour party I am not going by what the Liberals are saying either but real non bias scientist!

Which scientists? Can you please point me in the direction of some evidence? I could not disagree with you more strongly. If it's not being politicised, religious zealots get involved and the end result is people being confused and opinionated by a topic that should be a priority at the moment. There is no debate. It is real.

University World News - AUSTRALIA: Scientists face more death threats

Theoretically a carbon tax sounds great. Put a tax on polluting companies, the company then retools for cleaner emissions, the greens party is happy, Gillard gets their votes.
Now lets look at the REALITY.
Put a carbon tax on polluting companies, I can think of 4 directions from here....1; The company retools at great cost. Don't think so.
2; The company absorbs the tax and the shareholders take a drop in profits.....AAAHHHhhhhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha.....yeah right!
3; The company streamlines its workforce to cover the losses......good probability.
4; The company simply raises its prices to cover the tax......another good probability.
Unfortunately companies don't realistically pay taxes, they just pass the taxes on to the purchaser, who passes it on through to the end user....US. The problem is that if they become uncompetitive in the market, we will import more. As they sell less, then jobs will be lost. Then the company eventually goes bust and more jobs are lost. meanwhile prices of raw materials will rise and that will flow down to us paying more.
The question is will companies retool or just raise prices and streamline? My money is on streamlining and rising prices because of the restrictive costs of retooling for no real advantage.
As far as the government using the tax money for greener things......AAAAHhahahahahahahahahaha......It will simply go into the coffers with everything else and almost nothing green will come from it.

Seroiusly, I don't see why people are arguing about all the polls. Every single poll, bar none, has shown somewhere between 60-80% of people against the tax. Whether it is a news poll or a government poll, they all have most of Aus against the tax. Even Gillards personal polls show this with her popularity at an all time low. She said before the election that it would not be brought up.

Last edited:
The only positive thing about this tax is it will ensure labour will be in opposition for at least 10years.

Hey jungle....I could only find a like button....still can't find a love it button.:)

Yes, it is just another tax. The polluters will just add the tax to their cost and it will be the consumer who will pay the price.

Some of the tax collected will be given back to some of the population as compensation BUT it will ONLY be SOME of the tax collected.

How else does the government expect the budget to be in surplus in a couple of years time.
The $10 billion budget black hole mentioned is nothing. I'm more concerned at what will have to be sold to repay the almost $240,000,000,000.00 that has been borrowed and a lot wasted by this government. Now that's not a bad debt to rack up in less than 4 years.

On the subject of budget black holes and budget surpluses, has a federal labor government ever delivered a balanced budget. If so, when ???????
Wayne Swan when asked this question suggested that it would have been in the early 80's, he then smashed a glass.
I'm not so sure if the Hawk government ever delivered a balanced budget.

A few weeks ago I emailed the federal labor party and asked the question but surprise, surprise I've yet to get an answer.

The only positive thing about this tax is it will ensure labour will be in opposition for at least 10years.

Sorry mate, you are wrong.....Graham Richardson on radio the other day reckoned that this tax would be the death of labor for the next GENERATION.

Besides to qualify as an opposition party a minimum number of seats have to be won, I wonder if they can manage to win the required number.

Last edited:
I wonder if this will also kill off the Greens as a competitive Party as well?

This is back-to-front, upside down world! People actually WANT a tax??? Another tax?? :lol: :lol: Isn't EVERYTHING already expensive enough? We can't compete with overseas markets/manufacturers as it is...but we're going to penalize Australian industries? What a joke!

A carbon "dioxide" tax supposedly. Isn't that what trees need to survive? Just grow more friggin' trees!! It's natures BEST fertilizer! And we're taxing it??? We're seriously getting dumber and dumber! I'm convinced of that!

I think it's helped expose the Greens as a bunch of nutjobs. They are anything but Green!

Which scientists? Can you please point me in the direction of some evidence? I could not disagree with you more strongly. If it's not being politicised, religious zealots get involved and the end result is people being confused and opinionated by a topic that should be a priority at the moment. There is no debate. It is real.

University World News - AUSTRALIA: Scientists face more death threats

Yes it is real but it is also being blown WAY out of proportion. It isn't one of the things we should be particularly worried about at this point in time. We should be spending every spare cent on renewable energy research and stocking up on guns because not too far into the future there is going to be major conflict over fossil fuels :lol: (joking to exaggerate my point).

Hope so, some of their policies are ridiculous. The last government who tried some of the stuff they want to implement went dead broke :rolleyes:. All sounds well and good greens but where are you gonna pull all this money from?

Last edited:
Did anyone see the news last night with the CEOs of Woolworths, Coles, Bunnings and David Jones all saying that they will have to shed jobs if the Carbon Tax goes ahead?

What is funny is that none of these companies will be taxed directly by the Carbon Tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back