If ever you are in trouble......

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantazmic

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am sure everyone saw Torahs post that she got broken into and things got violent.

Something that isnt common knowledge....

you can program 000 into the speed dial of your mobile phone. If ever you are in trouble....like Torah was....you can hit the speed dial and dial 000...and throw your phone or put it somehwere in earshot...when the 000 operators hear a domestic of any sort they will trace the call and send the police.

If it is a violent domestic you get priority.

It is something I tell all of my women I counsel who are in violent relationships as one of the things they can do to protect themselves....

Just thought it is something that might be useful for people to know on the forum.

Regards

Elizabeth

I am sure everyone saw Torahs post that she got broken into and things got violent.

Something that isnt common knowledge....

you can program 000 into the speed dial of your mobile phone. If ever you are in trouble....like Torah was....you can hit the speed dial and dial 000...and throw your phone or put it somehwere in earshot...when the 000 operators hear a domestic of any sort they will trace the call and send the police.

If it is a violent domestic you get priority.

It is something I tell all of my women I counsel who are in violent relationships as one of the things they can do to protect themselves....

Just thought it is something that might be useful for people to know on the forum.

Regards

Elizabeth

Hehehe, this is good to "put out there" Elizabeth! Many years ago, when I first learnt the DIRECT number to our police station here, I put it in my phone as AAA Police (if you put the AAA in front of it, it will be the very first entry in your phone)...

I for one, appreciate you taking the time to put this out there on the forum Elizabeth, and no doubt, others will too!

Thank you, for thinking outside the square!

Best,
Carolyn

I often wondered what happened if you called them and didn't get a chance to say where you were...

well the beginning of my post sort of tells you what happened from the post that got closed/deleted

Im just not sure why Torah is now suspended....

but everyone should know she is ok...I only spoke to her in PM earlier in the evenin
i pm'd her too but she must have just been suspended as i wrote to her, good to hear that she is ok, sounds like one tough little miss.......

I often wondered what happened if you called them and didn't get a chance to say where you were...

This is an issue for people who don't use verbal communication, like some Deaf people. Unless it has changed in the last 18 months, which it might have, once you dial 000 you must say which service you want, and then communicate to them. If they don't get this they will hang up. Deaf people used to have to push the 5 number key repeatedly as a signal basically that they were there and wanted help, otherwise 'click'. If you are calling from a landline you may get lucky I suppose even if you don't request a service, but if you are not on a landline they do not trace where you are. As in, "I can just call 000 on my mobile then put it down and they will come find me". Nope. Again I know this bc deaf people were not able to use their mobiles to access 000. I'm sure if you were lost in the bush and called them up and explained, they would try and track you down, but they cannot automatically send someone to you, or at least could not 18 months ago, which was the last time I was privy to info from emergency services.

Tho dated, I thought I would just put this out there, bc I would hate to think someone didn't take steps they needed to to ensure they got help.

This is an issue for people who don't use verbal communication, like some Deaf people. Unless it has changed in the last 18 months, which it might have, once you dial 000 you must say which service you want, and then communicate to them. If they don't get this they will hang up. Deaf people used to have to push the 5 number key repeatedly as a signal basically that they were there and wanted help, otherwise 'click'. If you are calling from a landline you may get lucky I suppose even if you don't request a service, but if you are not on a landline they do not trace where you are. As in, "I can just call 000 on my mobile then put it down and they will come find me". Nope. Again I know this bc deaf people were not able to use their mobiles to access 000. I'm sure if you were lost in the bush and called them up and explained, they would try and track you down, but they cannot automatically send someone to you, or at least could not 18 months ago, which was the last time I was privy to info from emergency services.

Tho dated, I thought I would just put this out there, bc I would hate to think someone didn't take steps they needed to to ensure they got help.

I'm not sure how true this is. One day a few years ago on my way to work with my bf we saw a man collapse on the side of the road. WE pulled over and I tried to call 000 but my phone was broken and people on the other end couldn't hear me. Anyway I didn't get home for awhile but when I did my mother informed me the police had been over looking for me to see if everything was ok.

I guess though this would only work if I was in danger at home.

Wow, I have to say that I am really surprised that they came to your house! Not sure what records they would have to use to determine that hey. I do hope it's a sign that services continue to improve on the already great job that they do!

IDK how, but a mobile I used to own called the cops once. I had no idea it rang them, and I wasn't talking at the time. The cops came to my place to ask my mother if there was anything wrong.

IDK how, but a mobile I used to own called the cops once. I had no idea it rang them, and I wasn't talking at the time. The cops came to my place to ask my mother if there was anything wrong.

Plus 1 except it was my brother accidentally called the cops when his phone was in his pocket at work. He is a boilermaker so loud noises, yelling, swearing. They thought someone was getting murdered. It was funny, I was out and came home to 2 cop cars parked out the front if my house. Good times.

common theme ive seen from posts with mobile calls is they are just cross checking numbers to billing address. same as they do with land lines. Im sure if it was from a pre paid mobile you wouldnt get a visit

This is an issue for people who don't use verbal communication, like some Deaf people. Unless it has changed in the last 18 months, which it might have, once you dial 000 you must say which service you want,

Hi you mention your information is 18 months old. I did my training three weeks ago in victoria so for all you Melbournites you can definitely dial 000 and throw your phone other states may be different not sure

Yes they will find you through triangulation.....my boss had this happen his phone dropped out and they called him back.....and if you phone is out of money you can always call
000 and even out of range it goes to emergency services only and I think you have to have a very flat battery for 000 not to work as some power is always reserved for emergency services for a while at least

I was told it was through triangulation but it could just be cross checking addresses anyway the important thing to know is that in forays case it would have worked

Last edited:
common theme ive seen from posts with mobile calls is they are just cross checking numbers to billing address. same as they do with land lines. Im sure if it was from a pre paid mobile you wouldnt get a visit

As far as I am aware this is closest to the truth they can not do like in the movie and bang here is your location it is the address the phone is registrered too. Prepaids are now registered hence when u buy one they want Id so it can go on a database. The way phones are improving there will one day be an app for emergency response beacon being that this give a GPS location. Technology will soon make this possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back