Oversize Enclosures!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njames

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Most of my enclosures are what I would call adequately sized, but I'm thinking of starting to build some really big enclosures to give my herps the best homes possible!

Has anyone else decided to go oversize with their enclosures?

I'm talking about massive beardie enclosures, huge python cages, etc!

Njames

Yup. Here's a dodgy one I built for a Lizard , it's 4.5 x4.5 X7 foot High
223181_103674463054073_100002345580570_33764_5572669_n1.jpg
If the Lizard can thermoregulate and find the food , and you have the space , why not.

we just quoted an enclosure 1.8m tall x 2.0m wide x 0.6m deep, we actually talked them down from 1.8m x 2.4m x 0.8m!!!!

Plenty of people build pits if they want something that big. Not sure about doing it as an enclosure though.

Do you know what they were planning to keep in that enclosure J_P_N ?

i'm going to have to invest in a new enclosure soon, my beardie at 13months old is nearly 2ft STT he's going through a growth spurt as well so he just eats alll the time.....i better get a 3rd job!!!

i built a 120cm h x 120cm w x 2150c ml tank for a brizzy carpet

Large out door pits are good for lizards even for a larger encloser 1200x1200x600 will do for a larger python there whole life except maybe adult olives or similiar

Scleropages - Nice looking cage and reptile room too!

Would love to put my beardies in an outdoor pit or my diamonds in an outdoor aviary, we just don't have the climate for it down here in cold old melbourne!

Big

These house my Olives . The male is in the tall one , 5ft x 3 ft x 1.5 ft . The female is in the big one [ the little one on top is 4 ft x 2ft x 2ft ] it is 6 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft .

Attachments

• PA120005.jpg
    PA120005.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 183
  • PA120006.jpg
    PA120006.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 152
I built a 2m (L) x 1m (W) x 2m (H) outdoor enclosure...

But cyclone season came along and I had to move it indoors... As it was 2m high it was too high to fit under the door frame... Too wide for the ranch sliders - so I had to drag it around the front of the house and into the garage... And that was an effort.

However, the snakes LOVE their larger enclosure - and I measure that love by how they treat me and their food... It's a qualitative measurement I agree...

My personal opinion suggests large snakes would like suitably large enclosures with suitably high climbing spaces (when required).

i considered it, but anything oversized would just be too hard to move,...considering ive rearranged my herp room 4 times in 2 years oversized would suck!! :p

so i go with summer and winter enclosures, for summer the snakes have aviarys, 3 sections that are 2x2x2 metres, and by next summer the other end of the yard will have 3 sections of 2x1.5x2 metres,...

in winter tehy live in adequately sized enclosures ranging from 4x3x2 foot to 6x4x2 foot,...but get a treat on weekends of a day in the sun, followed by dinner,...

the beardies have between 4x2x2 and 6x2x2 enclosures for winter, and free range in the summer,..all bedrooms have windowsill extensions and mesh cages to climb up to get to the sills,...with their winter enclosures on the ground incase they wanna dig or bask (pfft, waste of time if theyre given a choice really, lol,..)
thought about an outdoor enclosure for them,...but they get bored of the outdoors really quickly and start nose rubbing,..even soft mesh cages take skin off,...so thats a no go for mine,...

ill be joining the 1 metre melamine tank to teh 6 foot melamine tank for the shingles soon, as in cutting holes, but keeping them as seperate units,...so theyre still easily moved,...i reckon they'll love me for that! :p

Yah look money & room are normally the main holdbacks for many to do so.
outdoor enclosures work really well if you have the climate to suite & the room.

Large indoor enclosures are great but can be a pain when you want to move them, so consider this. I have a friend that biult a large indoor enclosure inside his house, looks really great, but when he wants to move it he will have to dissmantle it.

Young snakes can feel insecure in a large enclosure is another thought.

Cheers
Ian

I'm hoping to transfer my 2 pairs of Beardies into a massive display enclosure as they have quickly out grown their current one!

Thanks heaps for all your input and pics guys, definitely food for thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back