Sand Monitor Enclosure question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Popas

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am thinking about getting a Sand Monitor and the enclosure i want to build is 6L x 5D x 3H ft.
I was just wondering if this is big enough for a full grown Sand Monitor.

Cheers, Matt

Prob best to go at least 8 long because there very active on the ground

View attachment 206850View attachment 206848View attachment 206845
To house 1 adult Sand Monitor you will need a enclosure that is 6 to 8 foot square by 3 foot high, similar to what you see here in my photo make sure the sand on the floor is hard and 5 inches deep, so it can dig a burrow to rest and hide in.

For heating you will need to provide in the basking spot temperature as high as 55c", Sand Monitors love very high temperatures and they can be very active so they need plenty of room to move around, they don't like being handle much at all the reason why is because they a shy.

Last edited:
6 ft would be a bit small imo, a sand monitor is around 1.5m from memory (correct if wrong). and once again IMO i believe these should be kept in a enclosure like above or an outside enclosure pit.

also deep sand is also important as they like to burrow. :)

Desert Sandies would be hard pressed reaching 1.5M and i think this is what Les is referring too?! I had a similar 2.4M x 2.4M filled with crushed gravel to a depth of 20cm as an indoor enclosure for a pair of Spencer's that worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back