Herp society

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamond 007

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Anyone members of a Herpetological Society???? I've joined Hawkesbury,been to 2 meeting so far and really enjoying them....

They go, "oh look other reptile keepers!" :D

I have to start going to the HHS meetings again, they are excellent. Diamond, maybe I'll see you there!

I've been toying with the idea of joining one myself, just don't know if it's something I could get to depending on times and haven't been to one for at least 10yrs! Lol

I'm not a member of any. What do people do at these meetings?
They have guest speakers ,do field trips ,they also hold a annual reptile Expo the last 1 was at Penrith sport centre very well done lots of people.One meeting they had Anthony Stimson talk about and brought in a hole bunch of his collection. Well worth going along to the meetings.

They go, "oh look other reptile keepers!" :D

I have to start going to the HHS meetings again, they are excellent. Diamond, maybe I'll see you there!
Yer if I don't see u there first. lol . Brian's the name.

Last edited:
Hmm maybe i'll look into it, are they once a month or something? Do they have a site I could look up for details?

I am a member of SOFAR in Newcastle.

We have an annual Expo, as well as regular displays and education sessions, like at places like the Newcastle Botanic Gardens. We re-home frogs found at the fruit market, and have done frog surveys for places like the Hunter Gardens in the vineyards.

We also have regular guest speakers from local rangers through to John Weigel, (he bought a baby devil with him).

You are permitted to take your animals to such meetings, and for a lot of people this is their first opportunity to handle reptiles and ask questions of other keepers. Find out about local vets, rodent suppliers and setups.

It is a major drawback of herps that it can be difficult to get hands on experience. The societies do a great job of setting up that interaction.

Get along and have a look, (and introduce yourself)

Cheers

I want to be able to go to one of the meeting but have to work every night it's on. Eventually I will get there

I want to be able to go to one of the meeting but have to work every night it's on. Eventually I will get there

Ditto. My roster has stopped me going to SOFAR for the last few months :(

Just wondering if anyone is a member of any in the Canberra region? I think there is two, but would like to hear what people think of them...

(awaits the usual canberra bashing - which is fine with me... So used to it *laughs*)

I have been a member of VHS for quite a long time, but as I live so far away from town, and with a young family, I have never got to the meetings. They have had some really great speakers and I wish I could have gone and heard them.
So, I don't get much out of membership but continue simply to support the society.

Can anyone recommend one of these in the Brisneyland area? I thought I'd found one but all the web links were defunct....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back