Ageism towards kids...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd let off some steam, so forgive me if the post is a bit "angry"
I am sick and tired of people ignoring me simply because I am 11 years old. I'm happy to say that this doesnt usually happen on this forum, and people are quite pleasant and accept and listen to my opinions and advice, but on other forums ect I've encountered some extremely annoying people. On some forum thingy some guy (about 25 yrs old or so) was asking on the care of pink tongues so, since I keep them, I gave him advice on setup ect. His reply was something along the lines of "Thanks kid but I'd like some imput from some grownups, thanks". I was fuming. This is just one example, I have many more that could fill a whole thread.
Anyway, just letting off some steam. I'm interested on hearing peoples thoughts about this, does age really give a gauge of experience or knowledge? Please keep the replies calm and civilized, I dont want this thread closed or removed due to some outrageous replies.

forums with members like that on their aren't worth the time spent! you're one of the more mature 11yr olds i've come across, don't let people like that get you mad, they're just jealous because they got the correct reply from someone younger and probably more experienced then themselves.

you know that you're pinons and views well respected on here

Last edited by a moderator:
I teach kids who are your age, so I think my answer would be a little bias, it's my job to listen and respect to kids aged from 11-18.

It would be stupid and naive for anyone to think that just because someone is a lot younger than them, they would lack knowledge and experience in certain areas.

I mean... my 5 year old kid knows WAY more about Ben 10 than I do... (obviously not comparing you to my 5yo, but you get the idea...)

I once taught a kid who was 11, and an absolute genius on Adobe Photoshop, I teach it to year 12 students and he knew far more about the capabilities of the program than I did.. (certainly put me in my place!)

As an older guy I can understand where he is coming from. But it doesn't give him the right to denigrate you because he thinks your too young to give good advice, whether that comes from experience or is being passed along from another source.

I'd say it was a case of sour grapes at being told what to do by someone younger than himself. I'd like to think if that happened to me I'd have the good grace to take the advice no matter where it came from even though I might not like to acknowledge that someone younger than myself knows more than I do. I am sure that happens a lot these days.

Happens to me too but from what I have read of your posts snakeluver you really do sound intelligent to me anyway :DDon't let the old fuddie duddies get to you lol :DWoah lots of ppl posted similar things to what I ment while I was posting Thumbs up for snakeluver

Last edited:
Well if someone came along and asked for advice.

you've been keeping them say a year and give you're advice and someone who's older and been keeping them a lot longer gives some different advice, who would you believe?

No offence intended towards you at all, but it happens. Has happened to me a fair bit when I was younger. Just the way it is sadly. Not saying advice you give is wrong or anything but it's just the mentality of people, they tend to believe those who have been doing this for a lot longer.

Thanks guys, I like to think I dont come across as some annoying kid, although looking at my posts from when I first joined I do cringe... :|

I'm 23 about to become a dad (mightn't seem young to you but I don't feel much older than 11) and I still get called young fella, or youngun.Don't stress guys it seems that unless your thirty+ your expirance is invalid.

It happens to me too... because I am 24 and look about 16 (as I am told) people look at me funny when I try and give advice on their kids (like, teething, coughs, high temps etc)... I have had dirty looks from new mothers and some have said something along the lines of "what would you know". Little do they know I am a mother myself... go figure.

You may be young, but it doesn't mean you lack knowledge. If you didn't put you age up, people would have no idea of your age, as you do come across as mature. Just don't worry about people like that, too bad for them if they don't want to take advise from those with experience.

Snakeluvver,

I haven't read any of your posts from when you first joined, but we all have to start somewhere. I reckon I'd cringe at some of mine!

When I first joined I don't think you had your age on your posts and I had no idea you were 11. Your posts are very mature and I admire how good you are at identifying reptiles in the ID threads. If I ever ask for advice on something you can answer, go right ahead.

As Lambert says, maybe your time isn't worth spending in places where you get a lot of negativity.

Thanks guys, I like to think I dont come across as some annoying kid, although looking at my posts from when I first joined I do cringe... :|
I don't think you'll cringe as much as the young member that was kind enough to list 'THE TOP TEN DEDLIAST SNAKES!!' etc. etc. with pics included and then get it wrong, ahhh memories........

If you didn't put you age up, people would have no idea of your age,

I dont generally make a point of looking at peoples ages unless I read something that doesn't make sense, then i'll double check and see if its a 'young un' and then I'll try and think where the punctuation should go LOL,

Seriously though, there is such a thing as 'agism' and it works both ways, the are a lot of people who are under 20ish who think anyone over 40 should be in a nursing home because they have no knowledge of anything technological that has happened in the last 20yrs,

there are pros and cons to being either end of the age debate, as far as i'm concerned I dont care how long you've been on earth. if you* know your subject, or are contributing a valid opinion, then i'll listen. if you're trying to play smoke and mirrors then nick off I have better things to do.

*this is a generic 'You' and not aimed at any particular individual

Last edited:
shut up Snakeluver and go back to watching Ben 10........hahahahahaha........i remember when i was young....i mean younger when old people would ignore me even though i knew more......just the way some people are. But on the upside most young people think they know a lot more than what they do only to grow up and look back to realise how little they really knew...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back