Pet insurance

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missi

Reaction score
I have been seeing plenty of ads on tv about pet insurance but these only seem to be for cats and dogs. Does anyone know of a reputable company that will include reptiles in their pet insurance? :?

There are none. Reputable or otherwise.

Yes, username 'retta4jungles' has her snake insured through a general Insurance mob... send her a message she is lovely and always happy to help.

You can have insurance for herps and well everything else you just need to have the policy underwritten which can cost $$$$$$ but is possible. Option 2 is insure them as an income source

Being someone who works in insurance it can be done. I would reccomend calling the Ombudsman as they will be able to get you in touch with companies and brokers that can tailor a package to suit your needs. there number is 1300 780 808. They don't sell insurance but can point you in the right direction.

I tried to get this started on 2 yes 2 seperate occasions and got nothing but stupid answers so if you can't get it at a decent cost, then you only need to look at the people on this site.
after 10 years in the insurance industry, it would be possible if herpers actually gave reasonable answers without fearing that I was just out to steal their animals. Even after I gave all my personal details via PM all I got was crap and most of the people were from this site.........
Only have the herp community to blame.....

i flipped thru the dog/cat insurance booklet last time i was at the vet,...and its really expensive,..

i think it was $40 a month per animal for basic,...and upwards for older animals, specific potential operations etc,...

i worked out to insure my 28 scaley critters, would be utterly ridiculous, even if it was possible,....

put $5 or 10 a week aside when you can,...that way you have your own pet insurance fund ready to go when its needed,... (and if its never needed you have cash forl another critter!@!!)

I tried to get this started on 2 yes 2 seperate occasions and got nothing but stupid answers so if you can't get it at a decent cost, then you only need to look at the people on this site.
after 10 years in the insurance industry, it would be possible if herpers actually gave reasonable answers without fearing that I was just out to steal their animals. Even after I gave all my personal details via PM all I got was crap and most of the people were from this site.........
Only have the herp community to blame.....

Alright, I see you point. The whole thing is, the pricing, and therefore the value of reptiles is unstable, changes from year to year, small time breeders wouldn't be interested in insuring their animals because the premium would be higher than their annual sales. - so they think. Another issue is, apart from 3 or 4 establishments in SA, reptile insurance premium would not be tax deductible and that is of serious concern.
You would have a better response if you post a table indicating the levels of premiums for collection worth e.g. $1000.-, $5000.-, 10,000.- and so on. It would also help to indicate what kind of cover is being offered, e.g. accidental death, theft, fire / flood, vet bills, etc..
It's always best to start with a proposal rather than asking people what would they want ...... you know the answer to that - everything for nothing. NO LOL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back