need help designing enclosure for a young diamond python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gavgav

Reaction score
hi all i need some help with the design of a enclosure for a young diamond python, at the moment its in a click clack but i want to make a enclosure for it so i can put a uv light setup, i have no idea what to do

i wanted to do something abit more slip and tall

something like a 700high x 500 wide x 500 deep

can anyone give me some pointers

It probably sounds ok. Diamonds are quite sensitive to warm, humid conditions, so to me, having an enclosure too big means you can easier provide that temperature gradient that they prefer.

Just remember young snakes are professional escape artists. Don't under estimate the gaps in glass, small holes where he might be able to squeeze out of.

Mine absolutely love their morning sunshine. They spend more time on the floor of their aviary, in the sun, than they do up on their branches.

i guess one of the things i need to find out is should i run a uv setup in it or not
the snake is around 14-16months old

i made a 4x4x2 enclosure and posted how i did it, only cost $400 i think i put it under 'my 4x4x2 diamond enclosure' have a look to give you an idea

i guess one of the things i need to find out is should i run a uv setup in it or not
the snake is around 14-16months old

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/pythons-uv-yes-165365/

Have a look at this thread. It shows the debateble question whether or not diamonds need UV lights. Some replies there from Dickyknee and Pythoninfinite are a couple that I consider reputable. I am sure the others know what they are saying but coming from someone with personal experience and successfully bred diamonds themselves, you can't argue with that.

As stated in that thread, my opinion was to forget about a UV set up. It is an expense you don't need. The bulbs and the fittings are expensive and the bulbs need replacing about every six months. If you aren't sure either way, just take the snake outside for some morning sunshine. They love it. 4 hours a week of natural sunlight is equivalent to 10 hours a day of artificial lights - according to my book "The Bearded Dragon Manual".

Oh and take notice of Waruikazi's reply about why pythons don't require the UV. Will make you understand it more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back