What to feed baby bearded dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Carolyn. Worms are from my worm farm. I've been using them to get my EWD used to eating from a dish.

Hi there,

Just received my 2 x 2mnth old pgymy bearded dragons last week and have found this thread very informative - thank you. I have found with my two are addicted to crickets and slowly getting some vegies down, as I want to get them onto a regular vegie diet as the cricket cost is eating into my pockets (so to speak). I always offer the vegies first feed in the morning so they are very hungry but with some crickets on top. But what a would like to know is more into the preparation of the vegies in particular - I boiled some broccoli then finely chopped it up, but what about with the bok choy etc? Just finely chop as raw??? It is more the preparation that I am interested in. Would greatly appreciate any "tips". - thanks everyone :)

My little clown (and yes he is EXACTLY that lol) LOVES his crickets but I always have a dish with his "salad" in his enclosure as well. LizardLady knows her stuff!!!! All my information comes from her regarding my Hercules and our snakes. I tried giving Herc the nostersions but he wasnt interested at all but he has decided he likes to lick the moisture off bean sprouts even tho he has another water source in his tank!!!! he is just crazy!!!!

Good luck with all ur new babies cos Beardies are the best!!!!! I love my little fella and cant wait til he gets a bit bigger!!!!

Attachments

• DSCF1660.jpg
    DSCF1660.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 42
Google " beautiful dragons" for a list of good & bad foods for bearded dragons. Although american the nutritional charts are great;)

Everyone thank you so much (also especially a big THANK YOU to LizardLady herself for being very helpful. As a newbie on here, this is a new stage of animal husbandry for me and I greatly appreciate everyones time to answer my queries - thanks again :)

Everyone thank you so much (also especially a big THANK YOU to LizardLady herself for being very helpful. As a newbie on here, this is a new stage of animal husbandry for me and I greatly appreciate everyones time to answer my queries - thanks again :)

You are MOST welcome! :) We all start out as "newbies", and I personally understand how frustrating it can be getting the correct information, so am only too happy to help anyone in need! :)

All the best with your new additions, and we look forward to "meeting" them on here at some stage!

Carolyn

bok cho, carrot, sqwash, woodies , mealworms, beans that what mine love.

I would'nt be giving hatchling BDs mealies the chitin is too difficult for them to digest and could cause impaction.

Hi there,

Just received my 2 x 2mnth old pgymy bearded dragons last week and have found this thread very informative - thank you. I have found with my two are addicted to crickets and slowly getting some vegies down, as I want to get them onto a regular vegie diet as the cricket cost is eating into my pockets (so to speak). I always offer the vegies first feed in the morning so they are very hungry but with some crickets on top. But what a would like to know is more into the preparation of the vegies in particular - I boiled some broccoli then finely chopped it up, but what about with the bok choy etc? Just finely chop as raw??? It is more the preparation that I am interested in. Would greatly appreciate any "tips". - thanks everyone :)

Everything raw... I would feed them as much protein (crickets) as they can in their first year. They need more protein at this stage to grow properly 80% of their diet at this stage should be feeder insects.

Last edited:
Thanks Carolyn (LizardLady) the info I included on carrot and blockages was from a thread a while back and not my experience directly so thank you for clearing that up for myself and others. :)

Thanks Carolyn (LizardLady) the info I included on carrot and blockages was from a thread a while back and not my experience directly so thank you for clearing that up for myself and others. :)

You're very welcome! :) That's what we're here for! :)

Best,
Carolyn

Well this is a picture of our baby Lizzi, had him for about a month or 2.. Have tried him on tomato's but doesn't seem interested, offered food's such as strawberries, but still isn't interested, and how do you know which hibiscus flowers to give and what type of folage to give also, we are first time owners with dragons... He eats small crickets that are covered in gutload, and he also has been curling up in a lil ditch he has dug himself in, today he had a warm soak for 5-10 mins or so, what else would I do to care for him. He also goes to a certain corner and scratches while on his back legs is that normal for them to do?

Attachments

• Lizzi.jpg
    Lizzi.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 31
ahhh i didnt know that . mine are all older and big.

i found out the hard way, too many at a time....mine ate mealies once and threw them up the next day, man did it stink had to air the whole house out when we got home

small crickets, small-medium woodies, green beans, squash, bok choy, choy sam, a little bit of carrot from time to time. Dust with calcium 5 feeds a week and with vitamin powder 2 times a week.

Don't feed mealworms to a baby beardie!! Big no no

Hi Leanne - Congrats!!!
I feed mine mainly from my garden now. Dandelions -flowers and greens, endive, carrot greens, beet greens and turnip greens as a base for everyfeed. I add in things like rocket, bok choy, pak choy, mango, parsley, mint, rose mary, celery leaves and stalk, ros epetals, pansy flowers, impatient flowers cress, lavander occassionally carrot, apple, pear. Here is a food list l use. Good luck and l guess balance is the key ( and a beardie friendly garden helps too)

Attachments

• food_list.pdf
    27.4 KB · Views: 36
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back