Gastric Brooding Frog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica

Reaction score
I was just reading this:
Gastric brooding frog - Conservation International
and was struck by the amazing ability to raise young in their stomach and then 'give birth' throughout their mouth that the frog has. I found it terribly sad that they have no longer been spotted and found my self intrigued by them. This news article (which I believe has been posted in 'herp news'):
Psychedelic frog comes back from the deads - Australian Geographic
talks about the Psychedelic frog being rediscovered... I really loved the idea that something so amazing that people would have been devistated at the thought of losing was suddenly rediscovered... Well I found this super interesting and would love to know more about these kinds of things and discuss it further... no one i know really shares this insane interest for all things herp >.< So guys... please post and talk to me about it... pm me orrr send me links to other epic things like this... Just WOW and I really really hope that the Gastric Brooding Frog is gonna get rediscovered... It is AMAZING!!

P.s. I am gonna log off now so shall reply tomorrow :)

I thought it read Gastric banding frog at first,.... Sorry im trolling

The frog of which you speak diappeared when the valley (Forbes I think) it lived in was logged not long after it was discovered. To make paper packaging for the Japanese.

I hope there is some joy at the end of this story, given that a potential cure for stomach ulcers was a distinct possibility, had researchers gotten a chance.

Dont know where the psychadelic thing came from. The frog was brown and white.

There really is no way of entering this world easily.

Smithers, you're getting better as the night progresses.

The frog of which you speak diappeared when the valley (Forbes I think) it lived in was logged not long after it was discovered. To make paper packaging for the Japanese.

I hope there is some joy at the end of this story, given that a potential cure for stomach ulcers was a distinct possibility, had researchers gotten a chance.

Dont know where the psychadelic thing came from. The frog was brown and white.

Not sure where that info came from. There are/were two species of gastric brooding frog, both disappeared at roughly the same time frogs started to disappear from Chytrid fungus (i think thats right). Plenty were collected by the pharmaceutical industry and i've heard overcollection may have sped up their decline (heresay). I recall the mechanism for gastic brooding was simply stopping the production of stomach acid.
A Conservation International (i think it was them) team (the same mob that are refinding all these rare species) had a look for the northern species recently (last 12 months) and didn't detect any. Plenty of potential habitat that's well worth exploring.

More chance than finding a night parrot, and much better odds than turning up a thylacine!

:)

I know that a frog group looks for the Northern species (rheobatrachus vitellinus) every couple of years. So far has not been seen since 1985. In the clarke ranges where this species lived is quite mountainous and there are alot of unaccessable areas, so fingers crossed.
On another note the Eungella dayfrog was only fairly rediscovered some time ago, so there may be hope. Interestingly enough the gastric brooding frog aparently ate the latter speciies and made up a good part of the diet.

Oh... It seems we have a controversy... >.<
Oh well I really hope that they are just missing... not extinct.
And whoever said "they were black and white (or yellow or something)" In the picture it sure didn't look that colour >.<

The first species to be discovered was the Southern Gastric Brooding Frog (Rheobatracus silus) was the first found in the early seventies. The frog was known from both sides of the Conondale Valley but may have had a larger range and was already in decline. The frog was interesting in several respects and was first most known for being Australia's ONLY (apart from the other species later) aquatic frog. For many years it was unkown that these frogs were Gastric Brooding, but as some frog scientists are one working in Adelaide (and I have forgotten who exactly) at the time was very exited at the discovery of a new aquatic frog and as they do asked the Queensland people working on it to send him down so animals, they were of course happy to do so as they regularly went out and caught this frog, it being so interesting and not such a long way to go. When this scientist got to the airport to collect his frogs, being all excited as I presume many of you understand he could not help but open them up and take a squiz. He had a note saying, 'Three Gastric Brooding Frogs, 2 male, 1 female.' looking in the bag he counted 2 males, 1 female..... 2 babies, well thats ok Queenslanders sent me a couple bonus juvies. When he got back to the lab he realised another one or two juvies appeared and when he picked up the female it vomited a juvie into his hand, the first documented occurence of this to happen which ended up giving the frogs a new name, they had previously been called platypus frogs. This provided a great opportunity to environmentalists. This frog was so interesting and so wanted to be studied that the motto not to log the Conondale Range became "Don't Log The FROG", which did eventually result in the areas the frog was found in and the greater area of the Conondale not being logged. Over the next nearly a decade the frogs were regularly collected and used to try and understand Gastric Ulcers, (another team not working with frogs eventually cracked this using antibiotic based treatment I think), by the late 70s they noticed the frogs were very hard to find, but not understanding their ecology thought perhaps it was just a natural down cycle. By 1981 the last recorded Southern Gastric Brooding frog was found and then no more.
A couple years later in 1984 a group of biologists in a swimming hole happened to catch an odd looking frog, one of the biologists instantly recognized it and so was the discovery of the second Gastric Brooding Frog (Rheobatricus vittelinus). The Queensland government with the "Don't Log the Frog" publicizing of the first frogs death and the many circulating theories was very cautious here. They put in place there very own scientist to monitor this frog and told everyone else, no touching. This scientist who lived permanently in a caravan where the frog was Known (from only appx 4 streams on Mt Dalrymple), produced a brilliant graph perfectly showing the decline of these frogs from some rather common, to nothing, and no intervention occurring anywhere in between, he literally monitored them into extinction.

And that is the story of the two Gastric Brooding Frogs. But that is not the important story, the important story is both why, and what this set off. While the first species may have been found in an area which was under some environmental pressures, the second species was found in pristine rainforest, never touched for logging, never touched for industry and with no known introduced species impacting the frogs in the area it was found. This disappearance of a frog is such pristine rainforest sparked scientists to look at frogs in another untouched place, the wet tropics wilderness area. To cut a very long story short, several species of day frog and further south the Tablelands Bell Frog were noticed missing. Later the first world conference of Herpetology got frog biologists from around the world together and it was realized there was a major frog crisis worldwide. In Australia the cause was first noticed by a pathologist at Taronga zoo who described it from the tadpoles of a day frog species as a protozoan. The cause was eventually identified not as a protozoan but as a fungi. Chytrid Fungus, and the same fungus, genetically identical, a clonal organism was found in dying frog species all over the world.

While in Australia this fungal disease has taken some 7 species from frogs leaving reptiles the only Australian vertebrate group with no extinctions, we must view ourselves as lucky. In South America the loss of species from the Harlequin Frog group would almost reach the number of species currently recognized in Australia.

It is an interesting point someone said the Eungella Day-frog was recently rediscovered which I had not heard, and I am almost positive I would have heard about such a rediscovery. However there was bright news as the Armored Mist Frog (at least I think is was lorika although it may have been nyakalensis) was most definitely rediscovered and there are still occasional reports of Taudactylus pleione calls from one isolated location although no definite finds.

but as some frog scientists are one working in Adelaide (and I have forgotten who exactly) at the time was very exited at the discovery of a new aquatic frog and as they do asked the Queensland people working on it to send him down so animals, they were of course happy to do so as they regularly went out and caught this frog, it being so interesting and not such a long way to go. When this scientist got to the airport to collect his frogs, being all excited as I presume many of you understand he could not help but open them up and take a squiz. He had a note saying, 'Three Gastric Brooding Frogs, 2 male, 1 female.' looking in the bag he counted 2 males, 1 female..... 2 babies, well thats ok Queenslanders sent me a couple bonus juvies. When he got back to the lab he realised another one or two juvies appeared and when he picked up the female it vomited a juvie into his hand

From memory that's Prof. Mike Tyler from Adelaide Uni, I seem to remember him breeding them many years ago & being quite excited about it.

No recorded breeding of Gastric Brooding Frogs occurred in captivity, thus it was never known if they swallowed the eggs or tadpoles. There were many instances of wild caught females giving 'birth' in captivity.

GeckPhotographer: So what do you mean by aquatic? Shouldn't that mean that they live only in water? If so why don't they have like full on webbing? Soo many questions :s
And wow... that was so interesting... So are there any other species known to 'throw up' their young? I am pretty sure I read that there wasn't... but not sure :s

Thanks guys :)

Hey, check this out... It is just it swimming >.<
ARKive - Southern gastric-brooding frog video - Rheobatrachus silus - 15

Does anyone have footage of one giving birth?

Last edited:
There are pictures of one giving live birth/vomiting young including x rays showing the young in the stomach, not sure if they are on the web or just in the book ("Australian Frogs A Natural History, by Michael Tyler), has a number of black and white images of the frog. These frogs do have more webbing on their feet than any other Australian frog, and yes they go through their entire life cycle almost entirely in the water, almost never coming onto land. This is not uncommon in other frogs and toads around the world including the clawed toad which was though to be the carrier of the disease to Australia and many other countries.
As far as I am aware this is the only known Amphibian and/or vertebrate to brood its young in its stomach.

I would like to profusely apologize that I have got my Taudactylus species mixed up. The extinct species are T.diurnis, T.accutirostris, and T.rheophilus. There are some reports of T.rheophilus calling in an extremely isolated and hard to reach location but they are unverified.
T.pleione and T.eungellensis have always been known to have survived in isolated pockets of their once much larger distributions. As I have just been made aware a captive breeding program has been suggested for Taudactylus pleione, a frog who's tadpoles have never been seen.

I also hope the OP does not mind me talking about Taudactylus a little as I have done as they are a frog so closely linked to Rheobatrachus in the story of extinction of Australia's frogs. Indeed while people watched Rheobatrachus silus dissapear from the Conondale a few pointed out the T.diurnis that were going with it.

Last edited:
Oh I see... That is very interesting thanks :)
And I don't mind you got a little mixed up :) Very interesting anyway :)

See here for some more info on them, they apparently swallowed their eggs, incubated the young in the stomach & then gave birth to live babies through their mouth.

I nor my father have seen concrete proof of what they swallowed, they were never bred in captivity and the event of the tadpoles/eggs getting into their stomach was never documented, probably never witnessed. Tadpoles or eggs, while the eggs are probably more likely, I repeat it is not proven.

They did however 'incubate' the young in their stomach, it should however be added that in this time their stomach stopped secretion of acids and stopped its rhythmic contractions. They turned their stomach into a functioning womb. I find the term 'giving birth' through their mouth a bit of a weird term to use I prefer to say that they just vomit the young up.

I nor my father have seen concrete proof of what they swallowed, they were never bred in captivity and the event of the tadpoles/eggs getting into their stomach was never documented, probably never witnessed. Tadpoles or eggs, while the eggs are probably more likely, I repeat it is not proven.

No offense but unless you're Mike Tyler's son, I'll stick with believing what the 'experts' have documented on the Aust. Government website that I listed above.

Believe what you want but the Australian Government website is just a form of media, that has no need to be precise. If it follow general observations such as that the eggs of this frogs have never been seen and concludes they swallow their eggs, than nobody is going to go off at them. I am simply saying that if it has never been documented then how can anybody know for sure.

I am not Michael Tyler's son, it was my belief Michael Tyler had a son who recently died. (Correct me if I am wrong).

I'll stick with believing what I hear first hand from various experts within the field who I would prefer to leave unnamed.

Edit:::

This is taken directly from the paper cited by that website about Rheobatracus, you will see that the 'experts' clearly say OR, meaning either both could occur or they do not know. The not knowing being the reason.

"Gastric brooding. Eggs, or early larvae, are ingested by the female, and direct
development proceeds in the stomach leading to oral birth. This process is only
known for the two species of Rheobatrachus. The nature and location of egg
deposition and ingestion in this genus is unknown (Fanning, Tyler & Shearman
1982; Gibbins & Tyler 1983; Tyler 1985a, 1989a; Leong, Tyler &"

Last edited:
T.rheophilus is not extinct. It has been recorded in no less then 4 separate locations in the past 3 years. 3 locations were by call and 1 by visual identification after being 'called out'. 1 location is quite a popular tourist spot gor that particular area...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back