Gastric Brooding Frog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
boogeralby can you back this up? I have heard unsubstantiated reports of calling from one or two isolated locations but certainly not visual identifications. One would think this kind of discovery would end up being heard of.

I can personally back up ID from call (id'd by an expert and myself from frog call cd whilst in the field. Another of the spots is 99% inaccessible. I'm not aware of the exact locale of the other two spots. The info will be available soon.

It is an interesting point someone said the Eungella Day-frog was recently rediscovered which I had not heard, and I am almost positive I would have heard about such a rediscovery. However there was bright news as the Armored Mist Frog (at least I think is was lorika although it may have been nyakalensis) was most definitely rediscovered and there are still occasional reports of Taudactylus pleione calls from one isolated location although no definite finds.

Check this out
Frogs Australia Network - Australian Frog Database - Taudactylus eungellensis - Eungella Day Frog

Have also heard from local rangers that this species is still around but endangered as.

Jeffa read further down that page where I said I had gotten my Taudactylus species mixed up and rectified it.

My bad, Just hope that other frog species get a "second chance down the track
Ïf you are up for a treck in my neck of the woods and want to organise a rediscovery program, sign me up and possibly we can make history.
Peace

Jeffa

I can personally back up ID from call (id'd by an expert and myself from frog call cd whilst in the field. Another of the spots is 99% inaccessible. I'm not aware of the exact locale of the other two spots. The info will be available soon.

Sounds great if it is real. Personally I will believe it when I see it, please don't take offense to that. It is just that in something like this where I have not seen verification I prefer to know who's word I am taking personally. That said I am certainly not going to say it has not happened, when my point of mentioning the unverified calls is that I have always viewed this species as the most likely of the day frogs to be rediscovered.

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to speak with Mike Tyler in the early some time ago and questioned him about the disappearance of Rheobatracus silus. At that stage they were uncertain of the exact cause. However, Mike said that he felt it was clearly an environmental factor as the frogs had survived for a further three years in the laboratory i.e. in captivity.

As Geckphotographer says, it is definitely attributable to the Amphibian Chytrid Fungus. The amphibian declines and extinctions began in northern NSW / southern Qld and move northwards, chronologically, through areas of pristine rainforest containing fast flowing streams. The occurrence of the fungus has now been documented from those areas in which marked amphibian declines took place.

It is worth noting the over collection of Rheobatracus silus by pharmaceutical companies is not correct and is not considered as a contributing factor to the frog’s decline by those that have investigated what happened and should know.

The likelihood of discovery of a surviving population is not good given the very specific habitat requirements of these frogs, their correspondingly limited natural distribution and their demonstrated susceptibility to the fungus.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back