Would You buy Artificial Branches Over Real Ones?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would You Buy Artificial Branches Over Real Ones?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just_Plain_Nuts

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am considering making artificial branches, not crappy ones but the sort that you dream of finding in the bush but never can, with the perfect forked branches and even hollow parts. We've got the vines sorted and they're great but I was wondering if people would be interested in paying for branches when they can find branches in their backyard. Difference being the quality and ability to order it the way you want it to look.

Last edited:
Not really. I love going for walks around the corner and coming back with a load of branches.
I use a spade drill bit to make hollows.

with hollows I was talking about big ones the snake can use as hides. These branches can be up to 30cm in diameter.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound blunt.

I think there is a good market for it and you should go for it, I just enjoy looking for those hollows!
I think you should look at making a hollow that could be heated, which would be great for your larger snakes and outside monitors.

I am going to say yes to this! With real branches yes you can go out and find them but if they are not properly treated or not the right type of tree (i have read that certain trees give off vapours from the sap and can make reptiles sick) you risk introducing things into your enclosure that you don't want there. Also depending on what they are made out of, they will be easier to keep clean and sanitary. Just imagine finding an amazing real branch that is the perfect look you are after and then having your reptile soil it or snap it etc or not be able to clean it properly. You would then need to try to find another branch similar to get the same type of effect. With this idea you would be able to customise the branch to give the enclosure the exact look you are after.
There are also people that may not have access to natural branches or hollow logs.
I think is the price is reasonable and they are made of a material that is easy to clean then there is a market for them.

I can never find the shapes I want, so I'd love to buy some if they had a realistic look...and choosing the colour/type of branch would be nice.
e.g. a nice rich dark wood branch instead of a light sandy one (all mine are light fruit tree branches)
and nice ones that would prop up in the tank easily...that'd make my life with giving the lizards something firm to climb on in a glass tank so much easier :p

I am going to say yes to this! With real branches yes you can go out and find them but if they are not properly treated or not the right type of tree (i have read that certain trees give off vapours from the sap and can make reptiles sick) you risk introducing things into your enclosure that you don't want there. Also depending on what they are made out of, they will be easier to keep clean and sanitary.

Not true, a quick wash with water and your branch will be fine.

Unless you live in the city with no car and don't know where some local scrub is and there is tones even in brisbanes CBD I don't think that is true either.

Steins idea will be awesome though.

If they can be easily disinfected, are reasonably priced, look good etc I think they would be great.

For sure, I'd much rather good quality artificial branches than stuff found in the bush. Very similar scenario to plants I guess & an advantage might be that they'd also weigh less than the real thing? Depending on price I'd love a realistic hollow log for my beardies & pythons.

If it was at a good price and they are well built then I could definatly see myself buying one or two or ten

Not true, a quick wash with water and your branch will be fine.

I asked a guy about this less than a week ago and he told me to use a reptile insecticide spray on any natural branches to be on the safe side. I am only going off what i have been told by an experienced reptile keeper that uses a couple of natural branches.

This and mounting points to fix them.

With this could you possibly use some form of magnet system like a brand i have seen that does ledges and vines? You could make them so that they sit against the wall/s with a flat surface and attatch a magnet or 2 and have a strong suction cup for the base?

Last edited:
I used to use a broom stick handle...

Then I used thick bamboo...

The snakes never seemed to mind - even when they had a choice... They seemed to inch along the bamboo happily!

i can see a market for them. even though i have access to a privately owned scrub block with more fallen branches than i can ever use, it isn't easy finding 'the right one'.

I'm able to recycle as I have friends on local council in the "tree crew" but have sourced suitable branches from the bush in the past. I think it's a great idea, but everyone wants something for nothing these days and with the time and effort that obviously would go into making them, you may find you price yourself out of the market?! Though this is not the case with your rockwall products.

everyone wants something for nothing these days and with the time and effort that obviously would go into making them, you may find you price yourself out of the market?! Though this is not the case with your rockwall products.

Rockwalls aren't as easy to make, good ones that is, as picking up branches. I still think there is a marked for people living in big cities and for those who believe that natural branches are dangerous because they're not sterile.

I still think there is a marked for those who believe that natural branches are dangerous because they're not sterile.

That's why snakes are far better off in our hands, as they eventually all succumb to parasites and disease in the bush!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back