Strange Caterpillar Things

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I was cleaning out my tristis enclosure and when I sifted the sand I found a few of these little guys. I was wondering if anyone knows what they are or where they could have come from? The enclosure is inside in the lounge room so I can only think they might have come in with the crickets??
PS Sorry about the photo quality. I'm a pretty terrible photographer

DSCN8569.jpg
DSCN8570.jpg
DSCN8572.jpg
DSCN8573.jpg

i always get them in my woody orders, they eat the dead woodies and stop them from getting stanky and dying,...then they turn into beetles, lay eggs and the cycle continues,..keep them, theyre great!!

Haha ok thanks guys. Differing opinions between Baz and Chris though :p.
Good to hear others have found them though. It means I don't have to worry as much

The are a type of weevil larvae Im pretty sure. They do indeed come in with the crickets, they eat the dead ones. The ones I get turn into beetles, though there are probably very similar looking ones that turn into moths.

I see them in the (a popular brand of live food and plants) cricket and woodie tubs. But have never seen them in other brands of live food tubs.
Good to know they aren't bad or at least too bad?

Im pretty sure they are spit fires I always see them around and they sometimes sting you if you piss them off and they sometimes leave black marks on the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back