One of my snakes died last night.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear about your python mate, I know how it feels.
On another note keep up with the SES training, I have great respect for what you people do.
Cheers Andy.

I feel for you. That's tragic news. So sorry to hear it. It's lovely that you wrote and shared your poem.

History: her sheds were crap... never coming off in one piece, after bathing, spraying her they were useless...

I took her to the vet and he asked me how old she was, as I got her from someone else, I could only go by the information they gave me, I replied 1.5 years.

He said no she's not...

I said that's what I got told,

Then he took her and ran her through his hands and said she's been underfed in that case and should be double the size.
This was about 3 months ago

Anyway,
I up sized the rats, like he said, and from past records she was coming up to a shed in about 2 weeks, so I gave her two... instead of one.

Long story short, what had actually happened, her organs had slowed down to the point that she wasn't capable of digesting the amount of food I gave her in her last feed.
Apparently, any other snake her size (if fed properly) would of been okay to eat the two rats.

The rats sat in her stomach, and rotted she got food poisoning and died.

I didn't get charged for the diagnosis.

Sorry to hear about your Gecko mate,
must of been a crap night.

Its not nice to have a snake die.

But going on one of your lasts threads in regards to cooling your snakes and the temps you quoted that you were giving the snakes, plus the fact you had fed the animal, Its looking like it was more a keeper caused issue.
Any form of cooling involves the animals organs slowing down.
The feed went rotten because the snake didnt have the heat to activate digestion.

Last edited:
really sorry for your loss Josh, your poem brought tears to my eyes. :(

Sorry to hear about your snake, great poem mate.

Stay strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

History: her sheds were crap... never coming off in one piece, after bathing, spraying her they were useless...

I took her to the vet and he asked me how old she was, as I got her from someone else, I could only go by the information they gave me, I replied 1.5 years.

He said no she's not...

I said that's what I got told,

Then he took her and ran her through his hands and said she's been underfed in that case and should be double the size.
This was about 3 months ago

Anyway,
I up sized the rats, like he said, and from past records she was coming up to a shed in about 2 weeks, so I gave her two... instead of one.

Long story short, what had actually happened, her organs had slowed down to the point that she wasn't capable of digesting the amount of food I gave her in her last feed.
Apparently, any other snake her size (if fed properly) would of been okay to eat the two rats.

The rats sat in her stomach, and rotted she got food poisoning and died.

I didn't get charged for the diagnosis.

Sorry to hear about your Gecko mate,
must of been a crap night.
most vets wouldn't even know what size and age an animal would be ,and have no experience in reps and guess at best.... most captives are fat if anything.... and most people over feed there animals cheers

Its not nice to have a snake die.

But going on one of your lasts threads in regards to cooling your snakes and the temps you quoted that you were giving the snakes, plus the fact you had fed the animal, Its looking like it was more a keeper caused issue.
Any form of cooling involves the animals organs slowing down.
The feed went rotten because the snake didnt have the heat to activate digestion.

The temps I quoted were only like that for about 3 day's...
I bumped up the heat to what it was normally, a couple of weeks ago.

but yes, I do believe that if i didn't feed her the extra food, she would still be alive.

This is a beautiful poem, I'm so sorry for your loss :( at least you had a great time with her, and cared for her. A lot of animals are not so lucky. I wish I knew just what so say....but I hope you can be strong. Xox

The temps I quoted were only like that for about 3 day's...
I bumped up the heat to what it was normally, a couple of weeks ago.

but yes, I do believe that if i didn't feed her the extra food, she would still be alive.

Sorry to hear you lost your pet that you cared about.
But we can learn from life experiances.
If feeding in winter i usually bump up temps to 33c to 35c warm spot cool end about 25c is ok.
If its a big adult python like olives or BHP their hot spots should be 35c to 40c .
If you provide the right temps then feeding all year is never a problem.
We all live and learn.

cheers
Roger

oh man im so sad now,after reading your poem :(

i miss my animals when they die too and think about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back