Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dihsmaj

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Is it actually legal anywhere to keep these?
I would think not as they're exotic and they're pests, but I'm curious, because they get big and I like the idea of a big Anuran.

They make cool captives and I don't think anyone would give a crap if you did or not.

Is it actually legal anywhere to keep these?

I imagine that it would be illegal to keep them in Victoria. Aside from being a pest, Victoria has pretty strong laws on keeping frogs. The last thing they would want is it getting loose & creating havoc down there like it has up north.

I imagine that it would be illegal to keep them in Victoria. Aside from being a pest, Victoria has pretty strong laws on keeping frogs. The last thing they would want is it getting loose & creating havoc down there like it has up north.
Wouldn't it be too cold for them? Their range is generally more humid and hotter.

arnt they poison? like if dogs eat them they die dont they? and im pretty sure you cant touch them. they have been found in nsw recently so they might eventually spread further across australia.... eeeeeeeeeeeew lol sorry but i hate them :)

arnt they poison? like if dogs eat them they die dont they? and im pretty sure you cant touch them. they have been found in nsw recently so they might eventually spread further across australia.... eeeeeeeeeeeew lol sorry but i hate them :)
Yes, they have paratoid glands that contain bufotoxins. Apparently they only secrete these toxins when they are handled roughly.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be too cold for them? Their range is generally more humid and hotter.

They're very adaptable, just look at how quickly they're spreading across the country. Although a Victorian winter may just be too cold for a wild caught cane toad.

FWIW... I think you're nuts in wanting to keep one as a pet, if for no other reason that they're possibly the worst pest to inhabit Australia.

oh ok, cool. you should look at the species list of reptiles you can keep in your state. If your legally allowed them as pets they will be in the list :)

oh ok, cool. you should look at the species list of reptiles you can keep in your state. If your legally allowed them as pets they will be in the list :)

they won't be on any list :p (they're an exotic pest)

people are encouraged to kill them...
there's even a tourist event where you go out at night, collect as many as possible, and they euth them at the end :| (can't say I'd find that fun!)

Who would wanna keep a Cane Toad :shock:??? It should be illegal to keep them anywhere in Oz.
A couple of years ago I heard on the news they found a Cane Toad that was alive in someones backyard in Seaford, Melbourne during the summer...with the Eastern Sedge Frog Litoria fallax being able to survive Melbourne's winter its possible such an adaptable species like the Cane Toad could survive in some parts of Victoria, including Melbourne.

lol okay, that sounds kinda gross.... if they arnt on a list then i guess you cant keep them as pets :) i find them disgusting but i couldnt kill them..... they annoyed the hell out of me when i went to QLD a few years back (alright they freaked me out a bit lol) eeeeeeeeeeeew they make me sick lol

Plenty of people keep them as pets in other countries.

a great amphibian for dissecting because of its size :twisted:

Who would wanna keep a Cane Toad :shock:???
eeeew, why would u want one... ;)

Apparently they are kept quite often overseas, considering they are one of the bigger amphibs out there and purportedly get pretty tame compared to like say an african bullfrog
Poison is not much of an issue either, providing you don't really lick the darn thing :?

having said that, probably not in Aussie tho. Do they even keep them/have them on display in zoos? (havent been in one here for awhile)

as for exotics, its interesting how with axolotls you don't even need a permit (they originate from Mexico i think, wild ones are endangered/threatened while theres heaps of captives)

Wait, you can keep Hemidactylus frenatus legally in NSW right?
Then why not Bufo marinus?

You cant find cane toads in VIC, which is a good thing. Why would you want to bring one to Victoria and introduce them there?!

I would assume the climate is too cold for them to survive.

But then again, as was said before fallax has survived our winter so I have my doubts.

l cannot see why you would want to keep a Cane Toad here in Victoria or anywhere else they are nothing but pest IMO, if your so keen to find out if you can or cannot keep a Cane Toad on Licence, why don't you contact DSE customer service on 136186 during business hours, and see what they have to say whether or not you can keep them instead of asking on a Reptile forum such as APS.

Good luck mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back