What happens to the animals removed by DSE ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allybean

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was discussing with a friend the other day, for people who have their animals removed by DSE, what happens to the animals? He seemed to think they are destroyed, I would of thought they would be given to a zoo.

Does anybody actually know?

Depends what they think is best, I think they are only destroyed if they are imported from overseas, or they feel it's just to unsafe to risk it, From what I know most of them are rehoused. I have a BHP that was picked up off the road from QLD and brought down to Vic buy someone unlicensed for his friend that was licensed, the guy did the right thing and contacted DSE, as my dad is good friends with someone from DSE it was given to me.. Apart from
that, I know in Vic Barwon prison gets a lot of DSE's animals. I'm not 100% sure but hope that helps a little :)

Thanks Spide :) , now my next question....

Does anybody know how can I apply to re-home some of the reptiles (althogh having an emu would be pretty cool!)... I may have to contact DSE for this one... or is that DHS!

They get dealt with 'Old Yeller' style :)

If a exotic is kept in the collection they get destroyed. If there is no exotic then I'm unsure but sometimes zoos end up with your old exotics on display.

I think they are either euthenased or passed on to the Lost Reptiles Home in Victoria for rehoming. Try googling Lost Reptiles Home.

:)

Thanks Spide :) , now my next question....

Does anybody know how can I apply to re-home some of the reptiles (althogh having an emu would be pretty cool!)... I may have to contact DSE for this one... or is that DHS!

Mike Alexander (from Blacksnake Productions) runs the Lost Reptile Home here in Victoria, try contacting him if you want more information.

Cheers,
John

p.s. Emu's are great we've had a few over the years and our current one is fantastic, but you need the room and the fencing.

In Sydney at least the Herpetological Society that I am a member of has what is known as a 'wish list' where confiscated or surrendered reptiles can be rehomed to people who are on that wish list. the animal get's put onto that persons license but it forever remains the "property" of the Herp society as such so if you ever decide you don't want the animal for whatever reason it must be given back to the society and rehomed again.

In Sydney at least the Herpetological Society that I am a member of has what is known as a 'wish list' where confiscated or surrendered reptiles can be rehomed to people who are on that wish list. the animal get's put onto that persons license but it forever remains the "property" of the Herp society as such so if you ever decide you don't want the animal for whatever reason it must be given back to the society and rehomed again.

Interesting. What about the offspring of the animal?

If the animal is exotic it is usually destroyed but if it is interesting enough a zoo would put its hand up and as long as they had the same quarantine facilities you would need to import an animal they would be able to take it.

I know all exotics found thru customs are destroyed, which makes me sick, id love to start something where i could quarintine them and either send them back to a proper home or rehouse them to zoos and so on

I know all exotics found thru customs are destroyed, which makes me sick, id love to start something where i could quarintine them and either send them back to a proper home or rehouse them to zoos and so on

They are not destroyed if a zoo with proper quarantine facility wants them. The problem is very rarely is anything interesting enough brought through that the zoo sticks its hand up.

Depends what they think is best, I think they are only destroyed if they are imported from overseas, or they feel it's just to unsafe to risk it, From what I know most of them are rehoused. I have a BHP that was picked up off the road from QLD and brought down to Vic buy someone unlicensed for his friend that was licensed, the guy did the right thing and contacted DSE, as my dad is good friends with someone from DSE it was given to me.. Apart from
that, I know in Vic Barwon prison gets a lot of DSE's animals. I'm not 100% sure but hope that helps a little :)

I seen em! lol

They are not destroyed if a zoo with proper quarantine facility wants them. The problem is very rarely is anything interesting enough brought through that the zoo sticks its hand up.

That's a bit harsh. Do you think they'd ever consider running a program where the captured exotics could be rehabbed/quarantined and sent home for re-release? I mean, it's not exactly going to stop the environmental damage that smugglers are doing if we just kill em anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back