good dlsr camera (first dlsr)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardman59

Reaction score
what is a good starter dlsr had a digital camera now i want another one a better one any suggestions:D

Last edited:
Ive got a Sony A55 i think it is... 16 odd megapixels. Im still yet to work it all out, but ive found the point and shoot to work really well in auto mode :lol: It gets good reviews from what ive seen. RRP $1600 with twin lense kit. Im sure once i read the manual and actually use some of the features its designed for i'll be even more impressed!

I would go nikon or canon there are a lot more after market accessories and second hand lens for them. I'm getting a canon 60D in the next few weeks as there is going to a price drop at the start of next month.

Ive got a Sony A55 i think it is... 16 odd megapixels. Im still yet to work it all out, but ive found the point and shoot to work really well in auto mode :lol: It gets good reviews from what ive seen. RRP $1600 with twin lense kit. Im sure once i read the manual and actually use some of the features its designed for i'll be even more impressed!

soz cant afford 1600 dollars i'm only a kid and this would be christmas present i was thinking maybe a canon eos 1100d with a 18-55mm lens and that cost 690 and that would be probs max price i could go up too

or a nikon d3100

Last edited:
ahh shame u are price limited, friendly with any camera shops that could do you a long layby? if so i would highly recommend the new Panasonic (lumix) G2W it has an Auto Intelligence magic button that does everything for you while your learning how to do everything manually

not had a chance to give mine a good work out yet as the weathers been crappy and too cold to be out taking pictures

oops forgot to mention its in the $1,200 range

I would recommend a Canon or a Nikon long before the Lumix G2. Most Cameras these days have automatic settings that do everything for you Panasonic is just marketing theirs like it is something extra special. Their camera itself produces lower quality images than either a Canon or a Nikon even ones in the lower price range such as the 1100D. I used to use an Olympus, if you only wanted to take pictures when using flash I would recommend it as an alternative at cheaper price than Canon or Nikon but without flash they both surpass it by a mile.

I got a Canon 5D recently and while it is the high end of Canon the shots produced by it can be very comparable to the lower end such as the 1100D. I would recommend for reptiles one of the first lenses you buy be a macro lens but an 18-55 can be very useful to.

Have a look on ebay you can find a basic cannon dslr for about 500 or so get you started and will take beter pics thab a standard compact digital camera and then later when you can afford it upgrade to a more exspensive one

I'm also looking for a decent DSL camera under the $1000 mark, l too am interested to know other peoples thoughts on this thread. Anyone recommend the Sony's? I can get these cameras at a discount price through a family member but not sure whether other lens (ie Tamron) are compatible with them? If l can't get compatible lenses for these then l will be looking at Canon or Nikon...as mentioned by lizardman is the 1100D any good, especially if you pair up with some decent lenses? What about Canon 600D, 550D? Also there is the Nikon D90, or any of the models below it?

Stick with the Canons or Nikons, aftermarket gizmos, interchangability etc, can't go wrong.

Another vote for Canon or Nikon, in your situation I'd try and get hold of (slightly) older stock like the Canon 500D or 550D as these should be marked to clear and fall down to your budget.

I'm also looking for a decent DSL camera under the $1000 mark, l too am interested to know other peoples thoughts on this thread. Anyone recommend the Sony's? I can get these cameras at a discount price through a family member but not sure whether other lens (ie Tamron) are compatible with them? If l can't get compatible lenses for these then l will be looking at Canon or Nikon...as mentioned by lizardman is the 1100D any good, especially if you pair up with some decent lenses? What about Canon 600D, 550D? Also there is the Nikon D90, or any of the models below it?

I definetly recommend Sony!!! Nothing but a pleasure to use. Takes great photos and thats without using any specific features, so im yet to actually fully benefit from it

I cannot really as the camera I use is outside the price range mentioned, but those who are recommending cameras they use, I would appreciate, and the OP would probably appreciate if you put up one or two sample images from the mentioned camera?? If it is not too much trouble of course.

my sisters got some flash as nikon worth 4.5k, but its just wasted when i use it..lol. ill stick with my iphone for now..

go the 600D the D90 has been around for to long now and the canon has a better sensor.

It is different strokes for different folks. I would have said the D90 while having less resolution has a fantastic sensor with quality equal to that of the canon and on top of that is (to me) a much better feeling camera.

It is interesting to note that the lowly old D90 gets a 73 on the DXOMarks sensor ratings scale where as the 600d only gets a 65. This doesn't mean a lot in reality though.. Just get a second hand slr that feels good in the hands to you of a system you want to stick with.

a couple I took with my ex's 500D.
Just using the standard 18-55mm kit lense. Never got round to buying a macro lens.
three of these are from facebook, so the quality has been dropped drastically, but you still get the idea. Also note that i'm by no stretch of the imagination, a pro or even close. Just a keen hobbyist :)
IMG_3590web.jpgStradbroke 1024.jpgniagara.jpgcapitol.jpgbellagio.jpg

I'd honestly, for a good starter SLR, go with a Canon. I find they're easier to use than a Nikon. I started with a 1000D, and I still have it 2yrs later. 'She' hasn't let me down. I am wanting to take it up a knotch, the next step in photography, so I'm looking at either a 7D or 500D.
The 1000D has come down a lot in price too, when I bought it with the twin lens kit, it was $1200, now I'm sure they're close to $600, since the 1100D has come out.
I'm not sure what sort of photography you'll be in to. I have taken everything from action (Jr rugby league) to close up reptile shots, to landscape with the 1000D. it's awesome!

Here are a few photos I've taken with the 1000D.

Frangapani at Bowen by TroublePython, on Flickr

Sunrise at Bowen by TroublePython, on Flickr

the thoughts of life. by TroublePython, on Flickr

Random gecko by TroublePython, on Flickr

Smile, Goliath by TroublePython, on Flickr

Hatchling 3 for sale by TroublePython, on Flickr

Here is a couple with a D90. In reality though internet pics are not going to tell you what slr is best for you. Any slr will take pictures of much higher quality if used correctly than you could ever really appreciate as a small file on a monitor.

Attachments

• rust race flickr.jpg
    rust race flickr.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 53
  • girl (2).jpg
    girl (2).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 55
  • leaf tail small.jpg
    leaf tail small.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Fly1.jpg
    Fly1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 67
  • vinigar fly landing.jpg
    vinigar fly landing.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 68
Here is a couple with a D90. In reality though internet pics are not going to tell you what slr is best for you. Any slr will take pictures of much higher quality if used correctly than you could ever really appreciate as a small file on a monitor.

What kind of lens are you using for those macro shots, Daniel? I've got the kit lens that came with my D80 and it's pretty useless for macro photography.

Tamron 90mm 2.8 for the two flies. Its great, and cheap ;) The gecko was with the 18-55mm kit lens (i don't even have that anymore) and the minis and girlfriend were with the 50mm 1.8 which is a very cheap and also very decent lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back