Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not my writing matey... you'd better credit it to the writer. All I did was point out that we only have one issue out at this stage, so patience will be appreciated lol!
We tried to cram everything into the first issue, but clearly didn't succeed :)

Ha Jack - all I did when I got my copy yesterday was look at the pics. The production of this first issue was disrupted for a number of reasons, and resulted in most of the articles being redone, so by the time it was ready to go to print, I was not seeing it very objectively at all! As Neil has said elsewhere - any mistakes will be blamed on me immediately, but I have broad shoulders and a thick skin from so many years exposure to herpers, so I apologise for the error which may have slipped by me lol!

Seriously, we'll send you another copy next week to replace the one which got wet.

Jamie

Facebook - a great place for secret strategy meetings...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Neil & Crew of many, I'm Very happy too take you up on a FULL refund of my yearly subscription I have paid for. Please let me know the process for this to occur :)

Many thanks for your efforts

Hi Anthony, all you need to do is email your bank details (BSB, Acc No, and Acc Name) to [email protected], and it will be processed within the next few hours.

Regards, Jamie

Lol too funny...... Have you noticed that EVERYONE who is overpraising the mag beyond the normal (great job) are either tied up with the mag or personal friends of the mag owner .... Weird or what?????

Hi Deb,
That's not true. I've spoken with the S&T team many more times than I have Neil and Co.
The fact is they have produced a fantastic publication.

I don't know who it's parents are, but it's a beautiful baby....

Yes, I think it's the best, but "best" is very subjective....If I was just starting out in the hobby, or much more advanced I may have a different view. I also get the other magazines that cater for both ends...I just think the quality and content is superb, especially for their first issue.

I've had a few PM's and text's wanting to know what other magazines are out there...The ones I get are
Herpetofauna
Reptiles USA
Herp Nation
Herpetological Review
Journal of Herpetology
Scales ans Tails
IRCF Reptiles and Amphibians
Hawkesbury Herpetologist

I've also got all the back issues for
Vivarium
Reptiles and Amphibians Magazine
Monitor
Reptiles Australia, and a stack of others, so I feel I'm able to spot a good one when I see it!

The fact is both the magazines produced here in Australia are world class and both deserve our support.

Jamie, email sent with details.

Thanks

Hi Deb,
That's not true. I've spoken with the S&T team many more times than I have Neil and Co.
The fact is they have produced a fantastic publication.

I don't know who it's parents are, but it's a beautiful baby....

Yes, I think it's the best, but "best" is very subjective....If I was just starting out in the hobby, or much more advanced I may have a different view. I also get the other magazines that cater for both ends...I just think the quality and content is superb, especially for their first issue.

I've had a few PM's and text's wanting to know what other magazines are out there...The ones I get are
Herpetofauna
Reptiles USA
Herp Nation
Herpetological Review
Journal of Herpetology
Scales ans Tails
IRCF Reptiles and Amphibians
Hawkesbury Herpetologist

I've also got all the back issues for
Vivarium
Reptiles and Amphibians Magazine
Monitor
Reptiles Australia, and a stack of others, so I feel I'm able to spot a good one when I see it!

The fact is both the magazines produced here in Australia are world class and both deserve our support.

Thanks for that krefft. I will look into getting the other ones. I have all the reptile Australia mags and most of the scales & tails. So a couple more to add to my collection should be good.

I'm Very happy too take you up on a FULL refund of my yearly subscription I have paid for.

"FULL refund" - is there any other type?

you purchased 1 single issue and 1 year subscription. 2 x issue 1 were posted to you. we have already processed your refund of $94.95 to the nominated account and the receipt has been forwarded to you. as promised.

jan

I am glad I read the GTP article before doing too much to the enclosure I have sitting, waiting for Sierra. It says to use brackets for holding your branches rather than screwing them in so you can remove the snake without having to disturb them from their perch. That sounds easier for me but I am not sure what brackets to get? I did go and have a look at Bunnings but being the blonde female I am, was overwhelmed at the rows of brackets and really have no idea what I need :oops: . None of them looked like something that could securely hold a branch.

JAMIE I will have to give you some $$$ to get some for me :D Then I'll know I've got the right ones :D

I have just received my copy of the new Mag & IMO I think the Quality of the conent & format far exceeds anything I have seen in a long time.Well done to the people behind the Mag......

I can't wait for my mag, I hope their is more to it than just "pretty" picture of xbred reptiles like some of the other reptile mags out there.

Plastic angle bent to shape. Sounds easy enough, although even I could manage to stuff that up. Thank you Jamie :D

Hi all,

I would like to offer a few suggestions about the new magazine. None of this is personal.

Before opening the magazine I was stopped by the cover.....This magazine/journal is about Herpetology, Photography and Adeventure....so why is the cover image been blown up too large causing the pixels to soften? The smaller image on the right looks much better as it appears sharper than the large one. Secondly while it is a great composite image(sizing aside) it would of been good to tie the cover in with an article/paper on Ctenophorus nuchalis/agamids etc rather than a extended caption.

The contributors section made little sense in its arrangement and I could not see a contribution from bullock photos at all and couple were advertisers as opposed to contributors to the content.

The photos were of a high quality for the most part (except one section where they were below what most would call print worthy in a magazine that is meant to have extremely high quality photos). While on the photos I thought 26 pages of non Australasian Herps seemed a bit much....I would of thought at least a few images of Australian critters could of been fitted in....eg David Northcott's series of Litoria aurea?

Secondly, the lack of Australasian content, I would of thought that at least half the magazine could of been about Australasian issues. One main article of Green Pythons, a editorial, one on Taronga Zoo and a minor (which was a reprint anyway) on the designation of a neotype for Underwoodisaurus milii. This gave you a total of 23 pages, Out of Australasian content was also 23 pages, with 26 pages of o/s herps and others in the beautiful photos of David Northcott.

Thirdly there was a number of editorial/corrections required.

That lack of consistancy of the references on pg 17 (year of publication).
The last caption on pg 22 does not match the image
Typo pg 65 (Photgraphy)
No captions at all for the photos in the Taronga Zoo article. (Incidently this is also the section with average photos) eg the Tuatara, Water Dragon and the bottom Syd Skyline pics are soft (pg 81).

For a journal that has claimed elsewhere it is the premier Australasian Herpetological journal I feel it falls well below the benchmark, Herpetofauna.

I hope that a few of these kinks can be worked out and I look forward to seeing the improvement that will comes with more subsequent issues.

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Last edited:
thankyou for your input scott,

we don't want to defend anything you have said, however i will explain a few things, so that before you purchase our magazine, you may be informed :

it would of (sic) been good to tie the cover in with an article/paper on Ctenophorus nuchalis/agamids etc rather than a (sic) extended caption.

quite unlike every other herp magazine, our cover will never reflect a contained article within that magazine. the articles are solicited independently to the cover shot.

Secondly, the lack of Australasian content, I would of (sic) thought that at least half the magazine could of (sic) been about Australasian issues.

please visit
http://reptilesaustralasia.com/about/ we tried to make it abundantly clear from the outset, that subscribers should not expect that the magazine was dedicated to australian/australasian content. fortunately, most subscribers understand the concept and have not been disappointed with the lack of 'australasian' content

Thirdly there was (sic) a number of editorial/corrections required.

due to the demand, we expect that a reprint of issue 1 will be needed and all corrections needed will be made.

For a journal that has claimed elsewhere it is the premier Australasian Herpetological journal I feel it falls well below the benchmark, Herpetofauna.

i think you will find that it is another magazine which claims to be the 'premiere' (sic) and/or 'premier' one of its type, it is not a term we would ever use.

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

i hope this clears a few things up for you before you decide whether or not to subscribe.
thankyou again for your input,

jan

Last edited:
Thanks for that input Scott. As this is Issue 1, there will inevitably be a few matters that need to be ironed out as we progress. I absolutely acknowledge the omission of photo captions in the Taronga article, and my failure to credit Steve Bullock as the provider of some of those images. The buck stops with me there! As far as Australasian content is concerned - I would have thought that Michael Cermak's article on Borneo is reasonably qualified to stand as a expose of Australasian herps...

As Jan has said, RA has never claimed to be the 'premier' Australian reptile magazine - that would be very presumptuous of us before we have anything like a reasonable circulation.

We have pointed out on numerous occasions that RA aims for a worldwide circulation - the Australian herp community is, in my opinion, generally parochial and inward-looking. This is a result of our geographic isolation and also an inbuilt conservatism born of bureaucratic pressure. Oz herps are NOT the only interesting creatures in the world, and from the interest shown so far, we have built a good formula to move ahead with.

Having said that, I do welcome your input.

Jamie

Scott, you have an eye for detail, I must say. I usually just read and enjoy magazines unless asked to do a review, but that's me. Anyway, nothing personal, but you have to admit that Shannon Plummer is a talented professional photographer - that cover screams! We amateurs don't stand up to her knees. I reckon.
Always good to hear from you.

cheers
Michael

My true HERPER works with this amazing magazine. Awesome reference to keep in the bookshelf to refer back to for different things. I still can't find anything bad to say about it and I've now read it from cover to cover.

I didn't even know there was a creature on the orchid until I saw the 2nd photo of it. That is just so amazing that creatures can blend in so well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back