Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like why people base jump,for the rush,to show off...mine's bigger than yours sort of thing.I love all snakes,but i would never ever want to handle a venomous animal.Really,if it's not essential, what's the point?Have you 'free handler's' ever seen the damage done by a serious envenomation?Even if you survive,some people suffer the side effects for years...nothing is worth that.I know of a young fella who was bitten by a brown snake and the venom went directly into his blood stream.Within a minute he was bleeding out of every orifice..every orifice.Now that's not cool.He was very lucky to survive and suffered permanent organ damage.
We should respect these animals... from a safe distance!I think anyone who handles one should thoroughly research the consequences of any bite,a RBB tag to the testicles would certainly leave you feeling less of a man!!!Dropsy..

Rod

As Matt said, people need to stop worrying about what others are doing for a change. Get off their high horse, take a chill pill and get over it if someone has a different technique of handling elapids. Funny thing is, that 90% of the people that do the flaming toward those that they believe are handling their elapid unsafely, have never even kept elapids.
They sit behind their keyboard stroking their bearded dragon that is yet to be named as they haven't started a thread about it yet.

Here's my opinion
Acanthophis-1.jpg

As Matt said, people need to stop worrying about what others are doing for a change. Get off their high horse, take a chill pill and get over it if someone has a different technique of handling elapids. Funny thing is, that 90% of the people that do the flaming toward those that they believe are handling their elapid unsafely, have never even kept elapids.
They sit behind their keyboard stroking their bearded dragon that is yet to be named as they haven't started a thread about it yet.

Here's my opinion
Acanthophis-1.jpg
nice work. ;)

Mr Timamtula,
see my post re balls and if you really respected the animal for what it truely is,you wouldn't unnecessarily touch it,and with regards knowledge if you really had any,you'd know better.Handling a venomous snake does not make you special.

My opinion is that it is not for me. They are beautiful animals, but I will never keep or handle them. The closest I have come is when a neighbour had a little RBB in her garage. Husband and I put a bucket over it, stuck some cardboard underneath and let it go in the nearby bush.

I have handled a gila monster after instruction, but that is totally different. They are very disinclined to bite and very slow. You must work hard to get bitten and all bites that I know of have been very drunk individuals taunting an animal. For those wondering - I lived in Arizona at the time and was instructed by a former wildlife officer.

I know many sensible elapid handlers who respect the animals, but I sometimes meet folks whose attitudes concern me. I hope never to be around them when they are handling a ven!

Mr Timamtula,
see my post re balls and if you really respected the animal for what it truely is,you wouldn't unnecessarily touch it,and with regards knowledge if you really had any,you'd know better.Handling a venomous snake does not make you special.
You reference your own post as if it is a valid source on the pros and cons of freehandling, it is not, it is no more than your opinion and no more or less relevent than the next persons.

I'm getting ready to do a venomous course but I still think you get better equipped if you can spend some time handling other peoples snakes under their supervision as well. Its good to have someone looking over your shoulder when learning to point out mistakes and give tips. Everythingthing in life comes with an element of risk in it, its up to you how you whether you reduce or increase that element through your own actions. If you choose to use hook over tailing it doesn't make you a sissy or inadequately qualified just means you are working within your confidence level (no animal is 100% predictable).

Mr Timamtula,
hey mate perhaps you should read the thread from the start.... in my first post i clearly stated that i do not own elapids....yet... as to my 'i free handle mine all the time' i was being stupid and it was in reference to the 'trouser snake'. i will delete the comment if it upsets you that much!!!

Last edited:
I don't think anyone actually flamed free handlers in this thread

or made a direct comment to anyone regarding free handling

Are there any videos of people free handling dangerous snakes on youtube? I've seen ssssnakemans old videos of his tiger and I think brown snake, but can't seem to find them.

Awesome pic, Dan.

Are there any videos of people free handling dangerous snakes on youtube? I've seen ssssnakemans old videos of his tiger and I think brown snake, but can't seem to find them.

Awesome pic, Dan.
yep ive seen them too, his old account was deleted along with 800 odd vids, but hes back on there now under a new username, i wont go into details on why he got deleted it seems to controversial for this fourm, as any thread started about the people envolved in this matter gets closed...

I enjoy your opinion Dan! Stay out of what other people are doing and let them make mistakes... eventually they will learn! (If they're not underground)

....elapids aren't out to kill us like most people think

And one that I've been greatful for on a few occasions. Aggressive behaviour seems often confused with defensive and I'm yet to see an elapid chase anyone, but the stories abound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back