Is it worth the hassle???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matty_e888

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a juvie diamond python who i have just weened onto pinky rats.
I'm thinking of starting to breed rats to save money on the frozen ones.
What is you're experiences with breeding in terms of maintenance costs?
Im looking at a very basic start with only 1 male / 1 female!

Will i find they are spitting them out to fast for my diamond to keep up with?
or should i save the hassle and keep buying frozens?

Thanks in advance.

I would think that with just 1 snake it would work out far cheaper and easier to buy your rodents.

Is it just the one snake that you have to feed? If so i'd say its not worth the hassle..
I have 20 snakes and still buy my rats and mice from a bulk dealer. But then again i couldnt bring myself to kill my own food, i get too attached to small fluffy things. maybe a short term colony to stock up some reserves, but im not sure on the freezer life of the rodents either

ive just started a rat breeding setup for 7 pythons and ive been told by a rat breeder that 1m 3f should keep me supplied. so if its an interest to you go ahead with 1m 1f.. if u find your getting too many..freezer, and if your not getting enough add another female... but ive found with reptiles its hard to stop with one..:D

I would doubt a pair would produce enough, but i have no idea. My rat breeder sells pinky rats for 0.60c so it wouldnt be worth it for that fact. However, in saying that, im thinking about getting a male and female for pets. Something different that the kids will enjoy. If/when they breed i will be using them as feed, but i'll still have my supply from my breeder.

Yeah it's really only cheaper when you're producing enough to buy your food/substrate in bulk. To feed one pair you'd be buying the small bags of food from pets shops and stuff which gets expensive. Find a rat breeder near you rather than buying them from a pet store and you'll be surprised how cheap you can get them

Yeah it's really only cheaper when you're producing enough to buy your food/substrate in bulk. To feed one pair you'd be buying the small bags of food from pets shops and stuff which gets expensive. Find a rat breeder near you rather than buying them from a pet store and you'll be surprised how cheap you can get them

AS mentioned above, my breeder is .60c for pinky rats (even the Jumbos are only $5) and on the same day i went to a large pet shop chain for other reasons and priced pinky rats there at $2.99 each!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all advice. Does anyone know any good breeders in Adelaide area?

i wish, have been advertising in the wanted section for ages but noone has replied. The elizabeth north shop is the cheapest i have found so far.... please let me know if you find a local breeder, i'd love to stock up the freezer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back