OMG Igauna in Shopping center

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gemrock2hot

Reaction score
So i was at the shopping center this morning and to my surprise i see a young girl walking around with a young green Iguana sitting on her shoulder. It's people like these that spoil the rest of us from possibly maybe one day being able to import exotic reptiles.

they are my favourite reps. It is such a shame ... some people really have no idea and should do research before getting something like this.

:eek: thats anoying that those who follow the law cant keep such reps where as people who dont follow the law cant, did you let someone know while you were there

i would have but i had my sick little girl with me and had to get her medicine. but karma will get them :)

yeh because she'll probaly continue to walk around in public with it

she probably has no idea that it is an illegal exotic and no idea that she needs a reptile license to have reps

i think this is is bs how come people overseas can have our australian reps but we cant import n have theres. grrrrrrrrrr:evil:

Maybe she didn't know I think people in general need to be made more aware about wat they need and are allowed when keeping reps

Here we go again huh!i been gone a while and still people are harping on about laws and licenses.could it be possible that this young girl was young enough that she didn't know and could plead ignorance?maybe if asked where she acquired it from would lead back to whoever the douchebag is who sold it in the first place.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but is it possible that this iguana was acquired by her family before the amnesty? And being an exotic, would it not be exempt from licenced reptiles' housing requirements? Therefore, she may not technically be breaking any laws ...

NicG could you explain that amnesty bit to me plze?never heard of it and always ready to learn something new.

Would animals kept under the amnesty be allowed to be paraded in public tho? I would have thought that common sense on the part of the part of the 'authorities' would have worded the amnesty so that all exotics under the amnesty be subject to the same laws as natives - ie, kept at home unless being transported to a vet etc. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, imo it is the job of reptile keepers to inform the 'general public' and that to me includes people walking around with illegals etc. Ok, so there is no need to go over and start berating the person, try sounding them out - 'hey, how do I get one of those, I know i need a license for natives....'

Here we go again huh!i been gone a while and still people are harping on about laws and licenses.could it be possible that this young girl was young enough that she didn't know and could plead ignorance?maybe if asked where she acquired it from would lead back to whoever the douchebag is who sold it in the first place.

Ignorance or not, it does nothing good for the reptile keeping world for people to be flaunting reptiles in public!

Was watching "Snake Underworld with Henry Rollins" last night, Apparently all the snakes that are in the U.S now from Australia are from Smuggled Blood Lines. So they originally smuggled some over there and bred them, now they have 1000's of Aussie snakes due to legal breeding, but the originals came from illegal animals.

Was watching "Snake Underworld with Henry Rollins" last night, Apparently all the snakes that are in the U.S now from Australia are from Smuggled Blood Lines. So they originally smuggled some over there and bred them, now they have 1000's of Aussie snakes due to legal breeding, but the originals came from illegal animals.

I'm sure a lot of (if not the majority) captive bred aussie pythons in Australia have descended from illegal wild caughts.

I'm sure a lot of (if not the majority) captive bred aussie pythons in Australia have descended from illegal wild caughts.

Yeah and i dont really see a problem with it. I know if people really raped the wild for specimens it would mean a demise in numbers, although if you look at what property development does to habitat destruction i think that captive breeding is the way of the future in terms of conservation. Well every animal came from the wild at some stage, even us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back