AHS Meeting....What a Night! Thanks Everyone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately the sara lee cakes cost $40 and we got $27 return in donations for cake and coffee so we may have to re-visit that. Luckily thanks to others, the night was heavily subsidised. Just keep it in mind next time you eat 27 pieces ;-)

Another highlight that I forgot to mention, still resonates. The poem by the bush poet was excellent, not only the poem itself but the telling of it was quite memorable.
I want to read the poem to my kids, although I don't think I'll be able to tell it nearly as well as Alex did.
Does anyone remember the website that Alex told us where we can find the poem and more of his work?
Please private message Gunderman for the poem The "Lizards Tale" weblink - thank you

I also wanted to say a big thank you the AHS crew for putting it on, Neil from the new mag 'Reptiles Australasia' for flying the guest speaker Greg Miles down and John Weigel for donating animals for the auction as well.

It was a great night, so congratulations to all of the people that made it happen. It was a great success!
Kudos to all involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Faunacation or faunagraphic? lol

It was definitely an enjoyable night. Big thanks to everyone that contributed.

Congratulations to the AHS committee for organizing this memorable meeting. Greg's talks didn't surprise me, I knew he was going to present as he always does - fantastic! I look forward to hear him again at the Herp Symposium in October. It was terrific to catch up with some old friends and meet new people but you know what - it's also good to be back in tropical Cairns, the cold was killing me. lol

Special thanks to Peter Harlow for showing us the Taronga collection and to John Mostyn for taking us through the Aquarium and thanks Neil for looking after us (the red kept me warm).

cheers
Michael

It sounds like you got a royal tour of Sydney zoological collections Michael. I bet that was a treat. 8)

Last edited:
i know, i'll definetly be coming to them more often!

Sorry I didn't get the chance to say hi one the night. Glad you had a good time. There will be some great meetings before the year's over

I will come down with David Williams again, it'll be warm by then, I hope.
Is there a summer in Sydney?

Sorry I didn't get the chance to say hi one the night. Glad you had a good time. There will be some great meetings before the year's over

thanks, i had a great time, i'll probally be coming to them more often then the fats meetings!

I will come down with David Williams again, it'll be warm by then, I hope.
Is there a summer in Sydney?

u dont have to rub it in that your always on a holiday,
and yes it does get pritty hot down here as well, once it was 38 degrees in the middle of summer last december!

The "Lizards Tale" by Alex Dudley

Hello all, I'm the skinny bush poet. I originally joined the AHS when I was 12 in about 1977- Marion Anstis was president then. I was a regular for years (even Vice-president when I was about 18) but lapsed when I moved away from Sydney in the 1980s. I was amazed to see so many old friends there at what was a very crowded meeting, it was a great atmosphere.

podcast to The "Lizards Tale" by Alex Dudley Faunagraph.com.au - Welcome to Faunagraph.

As herpetologists, we all love reptiles, but occasionally some of us lose sight of the fact that the features that make that lizard or snake special have evolved in a natural ecosystem to best deal with the challenges of that environment. Many species are threatened by the destruction of those communities, and anyone who claims to love reptiles has a responsibility to educate themselves about the threats facing reptiles in the wild, and to put their money where their mouth is and take action. In that sense, we should all be rabid greenies. If we can't afford to take responsibility for the production costs (including the environmental costs) of the things we buy (such as reptiles and the housing gear), we can't really afford to buy them.

End of rant.;)

Thanks very much for your post Alex. Your poem resonates, as all great poetry should! 8)
I'd love to recite the poem to my kids, although I'm sure that I won't deliver it nearly as well as you did. I'll do my best though.:)

Your philosophy is very sound and most refreshing. I wish that more people had your holistic attitude towards wildlife and I hope that the message epitomized in your poem gets through to as many people as possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back