bhp not well please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Lover

Reaction score
well i just had a look at my bhp today and seen she was very cranky witch is not like her at all, looking close when she hissed she made a bubble, at this point i thought something is wrong,looking closer at her mouth there is a white substance in her mouth and around her tongue, it is thick not thin, i also seen green pee in her tank and then i got heaps worried and thought fatty liver right away, however i have read that with fatty live disease the green pee stains, well this dried clear, she has also been feed med rats and never large rats, her temp i keep the warm end at winter at 33-35 and i do my best to keep the cold end up a bit but can only get it to 15 max, any ideas on what is wrong with her?, i will be getting her to the vet asap but in the mean time is there anything i can do. cheers

im only new to herp but bubbles usually mean respitory infection but dont quote me probly best on taking it to a vet n getting some antibiotics

I would say your looking at an R.I so u will need to be at a vet in the next few days

Hi reptile lover, I wouldn't waste any time getting your BHP to the vet, but in the mean time you should turn your temps up a little, often the increased heat helps them get better. Def need to get your night time temps up as it might have a RI from being too cold, but the vet is best to diagnose ... Good luck. Btw where r u located, do u have a good vet?

Hi reptile lover, I wouldn't waste any time getting your BHP to the vet, but in the mean time you should turn your temps up a little, often the increased heat helps them get better. Def need to get your night time temps up as it might have a RI from being too cold, but the vet is best to diagnose ... Good luck. Btw where r u located, do u have a good vet?
i'm in nsw mate not sure if there are any vets close, cheers for that i keep the temps up till i get her to the vet if she doesn't get better b=y the time i can get there

i have also been told take the water bowl out this may help with the ri, does n e one know if this method is true or not?

Yeah, don't mist the enclosure and keep the water bowl down at the cold end (or take it out and put it in for a couple hours a day). Too much moisture/humidity in the air worsens R.I. So basically, try to keep the moisture down and the temps high (but not roasting, just bump up your cold end temps, get heat cord or heat mat to put down there).

When you get to a vet they will most likely weigh up your BHP and give it an injection of Baytril. This will not be a one-off injection, even for mild R.I multiple injections are required but in this case it sounds like it's getting pretty bad. Hope you can get to a vet soon, as it is a very serious matter that will lead to death if ignored.

All the best.

Yes, take your water bowl out and just offer a drink but don't leave it in there. I would highly recommend Tery balmy from austral or canley heights vet, but she is hard to get into, but very very good.Also if u have it in with another snake I would separate them, but most important is to keep your temps up and most likely antibiotic injections from the vet.... Best to get onto it early if u can. Sometimes increased temps is enough to help them get better but If u have bubbles it's most likely gone past initial stages as they wease when they first get RI (snake cold) .... Good luck I hope he gets better. Luke

Yeah, don't mist the enclosure and keep the water bowl down at the cold end (or take it out and put it in for a couple hours a day). Too much moisture/humidity in the air worsens R.I. So basically, try to keep the moisture down and the temps high (but not roasting, just bump up your cold end temps, get heat cord or heat mat to put down there).

When you get to a vet they will most likely weigh up your BHP and give it an injection of Baytril. This will not be a one-off injection, even for mild R.I multiple injections are required but in this case it sounds like it's getting pretty bad. Hope you can get to a vet soon, as it is a very serious matter that will lead to death if ignored.

All the best.
i'm hoping i can get her to a vet tomorrow if not it might have to be next weekend but i don't want to leave it that long but have no way of getting there through the weekend

cheers all, she has been fine the last few days and i have not seen any signs of this at all it come on all of a sudden

I really hope you can get her to a vet tomorrow. When you get there you might want to think about asking for a tutorial on how to do the injections yourself. If they agree you should get yourself a weeks supply of the antibiotics, as it sounds like travelling is an issue. She will probably need the injections daily if it's as bad as it sounds. This will not be cheap, unfortunately.

Sometimes the early signs of R.I are difficult to notice, usually the noise is a quiet "clicking" sound, they will often yawn more frequently, rub their noses on the sides of their enclosure, and you may notice that the fork in their tongue is fused together with mucus. Later stages are bubble blowing, throat swelling and death.

i don't have much money till friday but i get get a loan off centerlink, yeah traviling is a big problem i have no car and the only way i can get any were is with my old man who works 6 days a week sometimes 7, i will need to do them myself i wont be able to get her there often, she is worse then i thought, when she opens her mouth there is lots of mucus and i can see when she is breathing there is a lot of mucus in her mouth, its way past mild ill have to find some way monday as it is my mums b day tomoz and everyone is going out.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's R.I for sure. Maybe someone on here in your area will be willing to help get you there? I know I would if I was close.

Vet attention ASAP, As it sound like an advanced case of RI and i could very well cause the death of the snake unless its treated correctly!

iv jumped up the heat to 38-40c and will drain the water now, don't really wanna stick my hand in there atm she is striking every second at anything that moves, the other week i had to give her a soak in water as she was stuck in a shed and that would not have helped at all, she is not in a great state i can hear clicking noises and there seems to be a bit of mucus in her mouth and looks like her throat might be starting to swell altho i'm very worried atm so i might just be seeing things.

she seems like she is doing a little better now, she is no longer in a s and she is not striking every second, she looks calm now so i'm hoping she is getting better a little till monday when i should be able to get her to the vet, temp is now at 40c at the warm end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back