attaching foam background

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicki71

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi I have searched the forum and cant find an answer to my problem. I have a foam background that I want to attache to the glass back wall of my snake tank. I asked at the hardware store and was told silicon will melt the foam and not hold it. Can someone tell me if I can use a silicon or what else I should use?
Thanks in advance
Nicki

silicone will work. or liquid nails, maybe double sided tape?

Aquaruium silicone from the hardware store is what i used held tight didnt melt the foam and is non toxic

Glad you asked this question actually, my 'forest tile' background just arrived, & i wondered what i should use......i had thought of using double sided velcro......Cant wait for Matilda to 'wake up' now so i put it in!

i have used the valcro and would not recommend it and they can get behind it quite easily.

Thank you the glue they wanted to sell me was a gutter sealant and I was told I would have to keep our stimson out of the tank for at least a week and if its that toxic I dont think I want to use it

Yeah i did think of that, & although i dont think she will be able to get behind it i have changed plans just to be safe!

Thank you the glue they wanted to sell me was a gutter sealant and I was told I would have to keep our stimson out of the tank for at least a week and if its that toxic I dont think I want to use it

i think anything will need to cure, so you mite need an alternative cage for a week or so. I had a hard time finding the right silicone when i went to bunnings, anyone know.... is it actually called AQUARIUM silicone????

i think anything will need to cure, so you mite need an alternative cage for a week or so. I had a hard time finding the right silicone when i went to bunnings, anyone know.... is it actually called AQUARIUM silicone????
Yes its called aquarium silicone written on the tube and it does need to cure but it doesnt have the fumes like other silicones and you only need a tiny amount as it is strong stuff strenth wise

Last edited:
I got the Selleys glass silicone sealant its has stuck well and needs 72 hours to cure so I will wait till then before its in use that will give me time to shop for the other titems to put in the tank

Selleys Glass Silicone Sealant
Leave it to air for at least 3-4 days.

thanks i looked at bunnings for ages for one called AQUARIUM silicone. i just googled it and now even know what it looks like lol, that should make it easier to find lol

Yes 3 days to cure, but the fumes may still persist. Just check with your nose. I could still smell them after 3 days once I put the glass doors in and turned the heat on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back