enclosures for a stimpsons python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amateur

Reaction score
hello, i have recently been thinking about buying a snake, i was informed that stimson pythons are a great first snake to buy, btw im 14.
i also have a 3 ft by 18" fish tank.
can i convert that to a snake enclosure or do i have to buy a vivarium?
any answers would be great :p

im guessing you will be buying a hatching so you will only need a little click clack for the first year or two, and eventually a wooden enclosure will be best as it holds the heat so much better.

how much would a vivarium cost for a full sized stimsons? (dont have one yet)
im looking to purchase a newborn.
in the click-clack does it need to be heated?
i read somewhere else that your suppose to put the click clack in the big thermostatically controlled one.
can you link me to a good caresheet for newborns?

just looking at a fewe other snakes at the local store,
theres a common tree snake are they easier or harder to care for?
they look quite awesome.

The common tree snake can be a problematic feeder. Many only feed on fish but if you have a wealth of knowledge and support from the breeder there is no reason it couldn't be your first snake. A stimsons would be easier as a starter snake.

theres a common tree snake are they easier or harder to care for?

Yeah, maybe don't get one of them :)

They are a bit harder. A Stimsons would probably be a better choice for your first.

It sounds like you haven't done any research at all and have just woken up and decided you want a 'pet' snake.

I would suggest browsing the net for a care sheet as well as purchasing some books such as Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons and Keeping Children's Pythons.

I got my son a Stimson for his first snake and its been wonderful, a great feeder and very placid. This web site may help http://www.dolittlefarm.com.au/docs/stimsons.pdf Keep an eye out on the sales section on the forum if you buy from a breeder you have help on hand if you need it, where as a pet shop may just try and get you to spend more money

Amateur,

There is no need what-so-ever to place a click-clack in a larger enclosure. Some people do because they have a large enclosure hanging around doing nothing. All it would do is to help stabilise ambient air temperatures in an environment that big range in temperature. You can achieve exactly the same effect by placing the click-clack in a wooden bookshelf or in a room inside a house (as against a shed).

Take the time to read the references posted. There is excellent information that will answer most of your questions. Have a pen and paper handy at the same time to jot down anything that needs explaining or other questions as they come to mind. Then ask them here.

One thing I strongly recommend is that you ensure you find a reliable supplier of quality frozen rodents that is easy for you to access. This will also allow you to determine what the on-going feeding costs will be so you are sure you can afford it. Like all pets, there is the possibility of a vet visit. Find a reptile vet in your area before you need one and make sure you can afford the bill, if and when it happens.

Oh yeah. Pine enclosures need to be waterproofed by painting with a waterproofing compound. 3 or 4 coats of polyurethane will do the trick and looks good. Many keepers prefer melamine for that reason, with the joins sealed with non-toxic silicon sealant, such as the acetic acid cured ones they use on aquarium construction. A waterproof cage allows for thorough cleaning and disinfecting, which will need to be done at times. URS produce moulded plastic cages partly for that reason.

Good luck,
Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back