bearded dragon and black headed monitor in the same enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albhp

Reaction score
Hey guys just wanna pick your brains we currently have beared dragons and have just been offered a black headed monitor my question is could i keep 3 beardies and the black headed in the same enclosure or will the kill each other . Any info would be great thanks in advance .

cheers

al

I am going to say NO to this but there may be exceptions depending on bearded dragon size, monitor size, enclosure size and also the requirements of the monitor (i'm under the impression that they need a hotter basking spot than bearded dragons).

It would be best for you to keep the monitor separate anyway due to quarantine anyway.

So all things considered i personally wouldn't risk it at all.

Agreed, don't risk it. Don't know much about Black Headed Moniters except the name

If you have been offered a tristis for no cost then you have more money to spend on the enclosure...

Quarantine period aside, it depends on the size of the monitor in comparison to the Beardeds. V. tristis eats lizards as part of its natural diet. Monitors have quite a wide gape and can tackle fair sized prey. They will also tear their prey apart if it is too big to swallow whole. So unless the beardeds have an equal or larger body size (S-V length) than the monitor, don’t mix them.

Blue

Dont risk it because if the do fight or stress each other out they will need to be seperated anyway so you would need a spare enclousure set up for worst case so would be best to set the tristus up seperate from the get go

Hello,

I completely agree, it is way too risky.
Lizards eat other lizards in the wild & placing them within arm's reach of another, which could be looked at as prey is too tempting. If you have two males, they will fight. You may come home to a mess one day.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back