UPDATED: Disgusting case of neglect (pic heavy)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I admire you for being able to hold a steady temperment throughout this ordeal. I would have promptly punched the owner in the face repeatedly and taken the snakes because almost any home is better than that. I am personally looking after a mate's snake that would be in those conditions if he didnt give it to be to look after. I lent him 'Care of Australian Reptiles' by John Weigel and told him sternly to read it before he sets up the new enclosure for his snake...

….I've been able to keep the most serious cases going, apart from one hatchling who will not feed even when prompted by scenting and braining, and is so stunted and weak that I am uncomfortable force feeding…. Cam
For the one that won’t eat here are a few suggestions based on information gleaned from the APS site:

1. Mouse tail, lubricated with egg white or water and placed 2-3 cm into the mouth of the python. Mouse tails do not carry a lot of nutients but they are a good ‘starter’ meal.
  2. ‘Pinky pump’. Pinky mush injected straight down the throat into the stomach using a syringe and thin plastic tubing lubricated with egg white or water.
  3. Use a appropriate sized syringe and thin plastic tubing lubricated with egg white or water, fill the syringe with plain regular yogurt, as this has a live bacterial culture in it and squirt it down their throat. It will jump start their gut fauna making them hungry. The next time food is offered the vast majority of animals eat without assistance. If you wish to add extra nutrition to that you can mix it with a little turkey baby food or chicken baby food or pinky mush.
If you do not feel confident in utilising one of the methods, there maybe an APS member experienced in doing so in Townsville. If not, ring a local wildlife carer because that is a technique often utilised for rescued animals.

Hope this helps.
Blue

Hi mate,
Firstly, as everyone else has said, nice work.
Secondly, if you want some free mice to feed the smaller stuff, pm me, we've got a 'few' floating around here :lol:
Thirdly, as much fun as it would be, do not go to ACA or one of those shows. They won't destroy the person in question, they will try to destroy the hobby as a whole.
And last, PM me the owner's name. I have my suspicions. If it is who I think I have come to blows with them in the past over similar matters.

Cheers bud.

I went to a wildlife park in SA a few months back that kept some of their reptiles in revolting, unhygenic and down right wrong conditions. This included:
1.Some of the blue tounges and bearded dragons were infested with mites, and one bearded dragon had one eye fused together.
2. Water dragon water bowl putrid with faecal matter, and no basking or heat provided.
3. Dried or dirty water bowls in some snake and lizard cages. Rotten food left in food bowls and about the cages, with flies all over.
4. Over populated lizard cages, with no evident cleaning of faecal matter in a long time.
5. Curlew dragging one wing and wallaby with massive lump on its jaw.
I took photos documenting these squalid conditions and the suffering some of these animals were enduring, but this list is only some of what I saw. It looked liked husbandry was attended to maybe weekly. Honestly, if the managers have little money for staff it would take them just a little effort to do the husbandry themselves. Seemed all too hard and just left them like that, and what pride can they possibly muster when a professional zookeeper walks through and sees their apathy towards animals and husbandry. Don't worry, they soon closed down and its all over!

Sean's planning to do that shortly as well, he said. He's just contacted the local team leader of QPWS for an update but no response yet.

Although no response from them, they know about it, things like this can take time to respond to. check your PM.

Disgusting case of neglect

]The RSPCA is very saddened by the pictures depicting neglected snakes at a property in Townsville. The RSPCA was notified of this matter and duely followed current protocols with the Queensland State Government and immediately sent the details of the incident to Qld Parks and Wildlife for investigation.

As the RSPCA in Queensland only has 18 Inspectors responding to more then 13,500 cruelty complaints in Queensland it is important to ensure an appropriate response to any alleged cruelty to any animal is investigated appropriately. While the RSPCA investigates matters under the Animal Care and Protection Act, ii is the Queensland Government that maintains charter and responsibility for investigations into breaches of the Nature Conservation Act, its regulations, conservation plans and codes of practice, as well as cruelty and neglect of native animals.

The RSPCA as a charity organisation takes all reported incidents of cruelty and neglect seriously and that is why protocols were followed in regard to this matter. It would be irresponsible for the RSPCA not to ensure that matters like these are investigated by Government Departments that have the resources to do so.

The incident involving these snakes is still under investigation by Qld Parks and Wildlife rangers and the police. Any inquiries should be directed to those departments for comment. Had that response not occurred, RSPCA would have acted promptly and appropriately to investigate the complaint.

I don't feel this is "alleged" cruelty...there were clear photos showing it. So there was no doubt about if it was occurring.

They didnt say the case was 'alleged' cruelty. You're quoting out of context.

They meant that ANY cases of alleged cruelty are investigated. If someone reports an incident, the RSCPA cant automatically assume that because it has been reported that it IS an incident of cruelty, and until the case is investigated they cant make that decision.

The RSPCA is very saddened by the pictures depicting neglected snakes at a property in Townsville

This statement clearly shows that they view the snakes as being neglected.

Last edited:
18 inspectors in QLD, if true it's shocking.

Also, how can we be so sure this is indeed an RSPCA representative?

Unfortunately it is true that we only have 18 Inspectors. We would love the funding to have more, however currently that's not the case. This is an official RSPCA Qld representative, and if you would like further email or clarification, please don't hesitate to email us on [email protected] - thanks all.

Thank gosh these sort of people are in the minority. Those poor animals. It's also a shame that these sort of people create a bad public perception of us keepers, when most of us are dedicated to our native animals captive care.

sadly if this was puppies or kittens the athourities would have seazed the animals by now and be building a crulty case.

RSPCA are a joke at times "for anmials grate and small" my butt!!!

hope DERM / parks and wildlife do something about this...

if people cant look after there animals then why have them in the first place.

i would not be suprized if many of them have vairious health isues. D:

I have to agree about RSPCA. I cant believe that an organisation dedicated to the wellbeing of animals has nothing to say about reptiles. I have looked at their website before and they have no set requirements for the wellbeing of captive reptiles.

As for the Parks and Wildlife. They sound like a joke.

@RSPCA - would you mind telling me why the dying kittens and queens in the mill I found haven't been rescued yet or even investigated? You know, a call back would be nice, rather than the woman I talked to saying "don't be such a pussy" as a way of resolution. Just putting it out there.

I am Cam's mate that worked with him to bring these snakes some justice and dignity, its been quite an unsettling ride and has really opened my eyes to how little respect some people can have for animals, and also the inadequacies of the system set up to protect animals from people like this...

With all due respect RSPCA, though I have been contacted by phone by the Chief Inspector who has allayed my concerns somewhat, your response here seems more like a bit of PR image control than an actual resonse to the situation at hand. To clarify your comment "The RSPCA was notified of this matter and duely followed current protocols with the Queensland State Government and immediately sent the details of the incident to Qld Parks and Wildlife for investigation.", in fact this only occured after I sent an email with a link to this thread to your organisation on Tuesday August 2nd. Our initial contact with the RSPCA consisted a bored and unhelpful woman at the Townsville shelter telling me it was nothing to do with the RSPCA and to contact QPWS/DERM. This is after I explained to her that I had spent 30 minutes online trying to find an appropriate number or contact at DERM to call and had to insist repeatedly that she find me a number for me to call. After 5 minutes of being on hold she gave me a number, which was not even connected when I tried to call it! The woman did not take down ANY details about the incident, so there is NO WAY it could have been reported at that stage... I do understand now that there is a memorandum of understanding between QPWS and RSPCA and that wildlife queries should be dealt with by QPWS/DERM but the initial response from the Towsnville branch has left a bad taste in my mouth...

As for QPWS/DERM.....I dont have anything positive to say about my experience in dealing with them over this matter. The two officers who took our statements seemed initially to be very motivated and concerned and gave us the impression that they would be acting with haste, but whether through bureaucratic BS or too large a workload the momentum seemed to drop as soon as we walked out the door. Despite me calling them at least every week to see if there had been any action to care for the snakes, it wasnt until I sent a very blunt email to them on the 25th of July threatening to go to the minister and the media if action wasnt taken did they act at all, and even then only to enter the premises with the police and take photos... No animals were seized, no animals were fed or received veterinary care, just photos...then they shut the door and left...

The supervisor of the 2 DERM officers who dealt with this initially contacted me after this and basically gave me every justification as to why they couldnt act, stating that they had insufficient evidence (despite 2 lengthy statements and a USB stick full of more photos like those posted here), the Hendra virus outbreak (not even in FNQ!!), they couldnt identify the owner or the premises (despite the statements giving the address and name of the person, and confirmation that the bloke at the centre of this was a licensed reptile keeper), that the RSPCA should have dealt with it (see above), etc etc etc. He also said that the conditions of the snakes was 'not that bad', obviously not since Cam and I had spent over a week cleaning most of the enclosures and feeding some of the smaller more emaciated snakes. Had we not done this the scene that would have greeted DERM on their eventual arrival would have been nothing short of a horror show!!

To my knowledge the keeper hasnt yet returned from holidays, the snakes are still mostly unfed apart from the ones that Cam and I fed, and some of the larger ones are still living in their own filth and stench as was requested by officers so they could see the condition first hand... Thats 7 weeks that they would have been unattended for if not for the intervention of Cameron and I, and it had been much much longer since they were properly fed and had their enclosures cleaned. I have emailed the office of Vicky Darling, the minister for DERM about this matter along with a link to this thread. We will see if that makes any difference...

On the upside to all this I have now developed a lot more knowledge about reptile keeping and am considering getting a snake at the start of next year. They are fascinating and beautiful creatures and until this incident I had not had the opportunity to be close to or hold a snake and have gone from being a bit apprehensive about them to now thinking that they are amazing creatures that deserve a lot more respect.

As for the bloke who caused all of this.....lower than a snakes belly....

Sean

Last edited:
Thats terrible!!
You have done a great job cleaning all of them, I'm happy that you found them when you did.
Good on you :)

And sean i didn't have time to read all of your post but do you think you will get into reptiles now? Or has that just completely now?

Last edited:
I'm going to say it; There are hardly any services for rescuing herptiles.
RSPCA: You are a joke. You don't give a rat's about these reptiles.
It seems that the authorites only 'care' about the animals that can make a sound in distress :/

How are things going cam? Have you had any progress?

Hi Katie. We've been in contact with RSPCA and learned that it is the place of government organisations to deal with wildlife and reptile-related issues like this, which makes sense as the number of calls RSPCA would get per year ragarding cats, dogs and the like would far outweigh the number of calls for reptiles which are technically under government licencing systems anyway. Haven't heard from or seen the owner, haven't got into the place yet, but hopefully I can get around there soon, at least to check on them. I'll let you know.

Cam and Sean you have done an outstanding job. Document everything (keep a diary), keep and print off all emails you have sent and recieved, if you do not get any joy from the minister go higher, send it to Anna Bligh and CC a media organisation into your email and see if get a response then. You both sound like you have the motivation to get this all the way through and get a result, and i certainly you hope that you do.

Keep us updated.

Thats terrible!!
You have done a great job cleaning all of them, I'm happy that you found them when you did.
Good on you :)

And sean i didn't have time to read all of your post but do you think you will get into reptiles now? Or has that just completely now?

Hi yes Im thinking seriously of acquiring an albino Darwin or perhaps a caramel. Cam's albino Dante is the sweetest wee thing Ive ever had slither down my arm and Im now mighty taken with the idea of having my own snake.

I did consider the idea of taking in one of the hatchlings from this neglected lot, but for me it would always be a tainted reminder of this sordid episode.

And as Cam has pointed out in Queensland at least it is the responsibility of QPWS/DERM to deal with wildlife issues under a MOU with RSPCA. Dont know how the other states deal with it but maybe (forgive a newbie making suggestions) a sticky thread with all the details of who to go to in these situations could be helpful.

One of my biggest complaints to DERM was that there wasnt a clear pathway for people to take to report these matters. It took Cam and I a lot of searching, many calls and false starts before we got through to the 'right' people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back