Do you train your partners?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterrat

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Strange question I guess ...... the day before I departed for Sydney, one of my females laid a clutch, so I "walked" my wife through the procedure, how to take the stroppy female off the eggs, separate them, weigh each one and place them into the incubation box. I wasn't expecting any more other clutches before I got back but as luck would have it, she rang me on the second day "it's happening". She accomplished the task with flying colours and I am very proud of her. :D

She has now joined the Reptile Breeders Union and is demanding fair pay for the job done as well as promotion. LOL I am thinking ..... a crocodile nest?

Sounds like you trained her well. It's hard enough me walking my parents through just looking after my snakes when I am away. Let alone dealing with eggs.

I try, although my partner isn't really interested to be honest. The other day he surprised me though and offered to feed them! I was so proud :) It's only taken him a couple of years...

Rahni, interest doesn't come into it - it's a marital / partnership duty, you have to get it right.

My partner is scared of most of my snakes but I have "trained" him to harvest a clutch of tristis, in that circumstance I was home before she layed but am confident he would have done a good job. the only other thing i like to "train" him in is cleaning out the mice seeing as though he manages to set aside a baby from each litter that is too cute to kill!!! I have since stopped using mice with any colours so that they cant be "cute" anymore.

My son trains me.

'Mum, come here, I need to show you how to do this...'

Hahah that's funny I'm going away for the week and I'm scared to leave my Gtp with my wife hahah I made her come home for the last two weeks and do everything that I would so I could be sure she would be ok I'm still nervice.

Ditto SP! Dont think any ive met would be up for dealing with my reps hahaTraining a woman to deal with your redbellies etc would be a whole different story though!

Training a woman to deal with your redbellies etc would be a whole different story though!

Why? My wife handled tigers and browns (when they escaped in the lounge room) with determination and proficiency. True!

Ditto SP! Dont think any ive met would be up for dealing with my reps hahaTraining a woman to deal with your redbellies etc would be a whole different story though!
And the if you dont train them right you are likely to lose your partner! lol

My wife doesn't like my pythons that much, doesn't hate them either, she just isn't interested in them. She does clean them and give them water when I'm away though. You do feel proud of your partner when they do it despite not really wanting too.
Luckily she doesn't need to pull the larger snakes out to change the paper and water, as they are usually up on a basking shelf. Just the smaller ones that are in tubs have to be handled...

My husband is brave enough to change the water bowl (for my stimmie) and if the snake isn't too close he'll change the newspaper on the floor....but it nearly bit him once so he's a bit scared now. Luckily we have a friend down the road who would do other things if necessary. I went away for 9 days in June and hubby was ..... very brave .... and changed the water bowl a couple of times. Hubby will hold the snake....if totally necessary, but very reluctantly sometimes.

Oh, you got to watch those stimmies, they're the worse kind. Potentially lethal. :D

My partner has been in training for 2.5 years now...she regularly handles all species of elapids apart from our extra big Taipan's and Brown Snakes...it's a bit hard wrangling two metre snakes when you're only 5 feet tall!

Just recently she has been giving me a hand collecting many species of elapids on a collection permit and has done it with ease.

I train my partner with all the knowledge and he trains me with all the hands on things, usually people are shocked when they find out im the one that knows the most about snakes ;)

My better half is a Dyak witchdoctor from Kalimantan
Dyaks were the greatest pirates and raiders in asia
Terrified of snakes like most asians until last October
Now trains wild caught retics and handles anything we get in with total ease

View attachment 212567
This was her first wild retic

must be nice having a partner u can rely on,...u guys must have some fantastic relationshiips!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back