GTP Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpb02

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi i was just wondering at what age do pythons stop or slow down on breeding i know gtp females can breed from 3.5 years of age but when do they tend to stop breeding. I have heard of some pythons still breeding well into there late teens is this true?

Also why is that it seems okay to house gtps together, i have seen so many housed together and i have always thought of it as a big no no and would never house any of my other species together, but i have started considering getting a nice big enclosure and keeping the pair together 24/7.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

Cheers
Matt

Matt, it's OK to house together females or pairs but males can cause trouble. I don't have a first hand experience with this as I am not prepared to take any risk but it seems to be the general consensus. Yearling male are OK together.

I can't comment on you other question, I have a female that laid 6 clutches but time will tell how many more she will produce.

I hope it helps a bit.

M

Thanks Michael for the quick reply.

just out of curiosity what is the age of the female that as had 6 clutches?

Last edited:
mmm interesting Michael just wondering if she was given breaks inbetween clutches and if the hatching rate has gone down..... ?

well not for green tree's but a friend of mine had a 20 year old carpet the laid a clutch a year up until she died
she did very well for her age and produced some stunner animals

How big is the recommended size for an enclosure housing two GTPs?

How big is the recommended size for an enclosure housing two GTPs?

I don't know what the "recommended" size is, I guess it differs from state to state like the rest of the silly rules :evil: . I keep 2 adults in enclosures 140x90x120. I guess it's bigger that necessary but it gives them space to move around.

i-B5CsTRH-M.jpg

Thanks Michael. Love your new signature, by the way. :D

I have 25yo carpets who still produce when paired.Both bhps and darwins.

Thanks for the info guys. It is something i have wondered about and have never found any text on the subject of pythons breeding in there later years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back