smaller version of water dragons????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gosia

Reaction score
Hi,

I always wanted a water dragon but now that it came closer to the D day I am starting to think that they are just too big. Can anyone suggest a small version of a dragon - something that doesnt grow over 30cm???

maybe look into Jacky Dragons?

not sure of their exact adult size but they're small and readily available

Just don't think any other readily available species has the same look as a water dragon...Jackys feel the closest too me for some reason.

are Gippys still too big for you? much bigger than 30cm but smaller than an Eastern

haha personally I'm dying to have two huge water dragons :p

Bearded dragons - noice but not nice enough (yes sorry to all bearded lovers) need something different.....@vampstorso = I always wanted water dragons I think they look amazing, but then I think about the enclouser they need when they get older and I think - thats half the room lol

hahah yeah I understand :)

angle headeds are really nice....

so you just want a dragon, not necessarily anything that looks like a water?
if so, I'd sooooo go angles!

or depending on your licensing system, and if you have the right category (Id have them if my license was high enough) boyds...ughhhh so pretty!

if you think about it, for the money you save on how cheap they are you could afford to diy a very nicwe enclosure.

mmm...central netted dragon...maybe???

Boyeds now thats noice!!! Yes.....:)))) Loving it!!! Licence not a worry can always update:)))) @daniel408 its not the $ thats a worry but I dont belive in keeping reptiles in small encloser so to build an encloser for my water dragons it would take up half the room which means I couldn't buy as many reptiles lol

Last edited:
well at least this hit you before you got the animals

have you checked the others? like say boyds, military, central netted or painted dragons?
some other more experienced members could probably pick up a better choice
and not quite sure what you get to keep in vic either (reptile classes)

is this supposed to be a 'beginner' lizard? whats your current setup?

@ K3nny. So far we have 3 snakes. Diamon, black head and GTP. I always wanted to get into the dragons as I think they are amazing so yes beginner for lizards not reptiles. I never buy set up utill I know what I want to purchase so no set up as yet........

get a fresh water croc. skip the lizard idea all together =P

id go boyds tbh but do you research before you buy.

I have 3 water dragons, 2 GWD's and one EWD. If the GWD's end up being both boys that is 3 huge enclosures so I feel for you. Couldn't live without my water dragons though. Boyds are next on the list for me, they are amazing and there are some good breeders in Victoria.

If you start with hatchling GWD, you would be able to enjoy them indoors for quite some time. When they start getting too big for the enclosure move them outside permanently to an outdoors enclosure or sell them. You could then start again with hatchlings. You could also add water skinks to the enclosure. I reckon that would be pretty awesome.

Blue

If you start with hatchling GWD, you would be able to enjoy them indoors for quite some time. When they start getting too big for the enclosure move them outside permanently to an outdoors enclosure or sell them. You could then start again with hatchlings. You could also add water skinks to the enclosure. I reckon that would be pretty awesome.

Blue
I have juvies and they are still fairly tiny, but even if they are both males, I could never sell them. Also, if you have a large enough indoor enclosure, it is not a necessity to put them outside but there in lies the dilemma I guess.

cant beat the personality of water dragons mate. ive got a water dragon now and had a beardie and much prefer the water dragon. such awesome animals to watch hunt. absolutely vicious

I have juvies and they are still fairly tiny, but even if they are both males, I could never sell them. Also, if you have a large enough indoor enclosure, it is not a necessity to put them outside but there in lies the dilemma I guess.

Yes, that is why I allowed for the fact that she may get too attached to them to want to sell them. That is why I suggested considering an outside enclosure. Getting Gippsland rather than Eastern – smaller and better adapted to her local conditions.

Watching a water dragon basking in sunlight on a rock or branch above water is a sight to behold…

And I definitely agree – at all stages they do have character plus!!!

Blue

get a fresh water croc. skip the lizard idea all together =P

id go boyds tbh but do you research before you buy.

Now thats an idea - NOT! lol

I have 3 water dragons, 2 GWD's and one EWD. If the GWD's end up being both boys that is 3 huge enclosures so I feel for you. Couldn't live without my water dragons though. Boyds are next on the list for me, they are amazing and there are some good breeders in Victoria.

Yeah I hear what you are saying- I also love the look of the water dragons but size......grrrr... maybe one day for now I think it is boyds! thanx for your help guys:)

I had a quick look for breaders but can't seem to find any - can you suggest some?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back