Mother of pearl scales?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sher_khan13

Not so new Member
Reaction score
so i had had my wee spotted out in the sun for the first time over the weekend and got the nicest suprise when the sun reflected off him, revealing all these beautiful blue, green and purple colours. my question is do all pythons have this happen? if not which ones specificaly do? i would really like to get some photos of it, but am afraid my camera just wont cut it in terms of quality.

oh and one other completly off topic question....whats the deal with giving your python a bath? would it be wrong if a filled the bath up a little and let him have a swim, or is that not on? im rather curious..

most childreni,spotted and stimmies have that sheen in the sunlight,also water pythons, olives and scrubbies
And yes you can gve your snake a bath,just make sure the water is not 2 warm..

Reptiles out in the sun truely are stunning. My Jungle's black goes bright blue in the sun, it's just lovely. Tried to capture it, without luck.

My brother used to give his Coastal python a swim in a very shallow warm bath (30-32 degrees) and he just kept his hand in there. When Hydra had enough he'd come to his hand and he'd lift him out. I wouldn't think they'd seek out water to have a swim, but interesting question, I would also like to hear people's thoughts.

Tis' where the name Rainbow Serpent originated (I believe).

The process, though I assume is similar to 'flip-flop' paint would be from thin film interference. If you're really interested - it's the same process that goes on when oil meets water and then you get a rainbow pattern in the oil.

Secondly - as for baths - it's better to give them the option to soak when they want. The best way to do that is to have a large enough water bowl for them to do this.

And water temperature should be reflecting their natural environment.

But do not use hot water!!!

Tepid is the best description.

i dont have to worry about drowning or any other potential health risk?

DONT PUT TOO MUCH WATER IN THERE. Just grab a spare click-clack throw some warm water in there so your python can happely swim with his head up out of the water, you should be sweet mate its more common sense :)

All pythons are natural swimmers - however if they need a way out.

Health risks - I would think are limited if you use clean fresh water. However, be very aware of water too cold or too hot!

This is why having a large enough water bowl (or click clack as suggested) available for bathing at their own leisure is the best advice.

There was a hillarious video I saw on YouTube of a lady using the water bathing technique to make a snake trust her. It was a "climb on to my hand or drown" approach and although not meant to be funny, I could NOT see how it would teach the snake to trust her. The thing sat there under the water for 2 minutes at least, not surfacing and didn't go to her for safety at all... Shows you how much "trust" it had in her. totally pointless video.

Me personally, if I was going to let my Jungle experience water I would only have 1 inch of water in there, so not the whole bottom of the bath was covered (like, a beach at the shallow end of the bath - if that makes sense? Or put a rock in there for it to be able to swim on to so not to stress it out if it doesn't want to swim. I wouldn't go too deep.

I gave my 4yr old coastal a bath when she had a bad shed, i stuck a big rock she could climb onto if she needed it and she absolutley adored it :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back