Feeding snakes in their enclosure or out of it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cypptrkk90

Reaction score
i know this has probably been done before, but would love the insight from some experts on here, as to what they do and why they do it. As im unsure if i should feed inside its enclosure or use a click clack plastic box as a feeding place.

you will get mixed opinions but i myself see no need in feeding in another enclosure unless you are housing 2 snakes together..

Ok am going to be hung but I feed inside their enclosures. I have 2 MD's and a Coastal and I've never had any problems. My Md's are quite timid and I simply lay the thawed rat in near them and they take it. The coastal is more gutsy and I quickly close her door!! She slams it straight away. I handle them daily unless just been fed then I wait two days. So maybe that is the difference as many on here don't handle their reptiles

I do both, some are taken out and others left in, it makes no real difference, we only take out when there us more than one snake in the enclosure!

Im an certainly no expert but I can tell you that I used to feed my two out of the enclosure in tubs, but after reading quite a few opinions on here that it makes no difference I started feeding in the enclosure, My Stimson hasnt changed at all and is still bombproof but my Bredli now gets quite defensive and often gets into strike postion when I open the door. Admittedly she was also very sick when I got her and now shes healthy maybe shes just showing her true colours lol but I have just finished their new enclosures and I wont be feeding them in there thats for sure.

thanks for the input so far. So im taking it that it doesn't really matter if you feed in or out, it all depends on the individual snake (if its untamed, cage defensive etc etc)

i do both, usually feed in tubs and do an enclosure clean at the same time

I personally feed all of my pythons in their enclosure and also get them out of their enclosure without getting tagged, every time.

well every snake and person feels different about this. I take all my snakes out and feed them in, what I call their feeding cage.
My both womas are aggresive feeders in there feeding cage but in their own are very loving. I soppose it really is upto you where you want to feed your snakes in the end.

Last edited:
I feed my carpet in the enclosure. I usually take him out for a bit before I give him food also so he doesn't associate the enclosure door opening with dinner time. Just what I recon, not sure if that's how they think or anything.

I feed my female in another tub so I can clean out her home while she's eating. The male hasn't eaten yet but I think he's shy so might be an in-home feeder, but he likes being handled so cleaning his place is easier.

I've never had an issue feeding in the enclosure. I've heard that you're more likely to get feeding bites from your animals (even when you aren't feeding them) if you do feed in the enclosure but personally I dont believe there's any substance to that.

i feed them in there enclosure, no difference at all imo, a hand going in a tank is a hand not a rat

My coastal is almost 3 and being our first snake we used a hook every time getting her out but have always fed her in the enclosure, she knows if the hook gets placed in front of her its time to come out and play, if not then is dinner time. Since learning more from a good friend who is a very experienced breeder, owner we have never used a hook with our woma and darwin and still feed in their enclosures but they are puppy dog tame and have never struck when we get them out.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

For the sake of collecting statistics, I feed my snakes sometimes in and sometimes out of the enclosure. I don't believe that feeding them in the enclosure is going to make them more snappy, but I prefer to feed my ball python in a plastic tub so that dead rat doesn't get dragged all over her substrate and the walls and floor of the tank. Sometimes they will end up dragging it into a water bowl, etc. So, I'll feed her in a tub most times for cleanliness. My bredli and GTP I feed in the enclosure while they are on perches, so there's not really an issue with the prey being dragged around the enclosure. My corn snake I feed in a tub also for the clean factor, nothing else.

I've never been tagged by any snake ever.

i feed out o know i tryed to feed in and they all changed to be more defensive, more so my jungles, i clean aswell as feed

Mine are all fed in the enclosure, never been bitten (except by my aggressive little **** of a Spotted python who is very cage defensive).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back