Jedi mind tricks needed to convert new landlord.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse_H

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ok troops, here's the deal.

I'm renting in Melbourne, and moving to a new property in 1 month. Currently, I have 1 fish tank with a turtle (which the real estate agents know about), and for some god forsaken reason my housemate wants a damned cat. We know the owner allows pets, as the previous owners had a cat and even a cat door installed in the house (a good sign).

Now, I have a master stroke I want to pull off. I want to get permission to keep an aviary on the premises so I can keep a lace monitor in it. The premises has a very large, secluded back yard and I'm hoping this will go in my favour. I really want this monitor so much, but don't want the stress of lying to a land lord and risk losing monitor and/or house. How do I ask for permission to keep a miniature dinosaur?? Should I ask for permission for the lacie and just order an aviary on the quiet, or ask for permission for an aviary and not tell them about the lacie? Any advice is greatly appreciated.... I feel like a little kid again begging my parents for a pet, so humiliating!!

My lady friend had a fine idea - she said get the aviary and the lacie, and the day before an inspection give the lacie to her to look after, and fill the aviary with a few quail. after inspection, put the lacie in and it gets a feed, and no need to declare said monitor. Not a bad idea for a broad! LOL!

Seriously though I'd really appreciate any suggestions, even from broads.

- Jess

- Jesse

well mate id say either ask if you can have a lizard in an outdoor enclosure, and dont go into detail OR just state the truth

i dont see what the problem would be if pets are allowed, just make sure its a 'portable' aviary and ensure the land lord that no damage can be caused by it :)

Yeah I hope so, I think I'll just ask for a portable aviary or something.... I really hope I'm allowed to have one, a lacie is seriously my ultimate, it was only recently did i realise you could keep them outdoors in melbourne. I'm doing research into heat pads for them etc. Keep the suggestions coming though!

I got my realty with I keep australian reptiles on licence. Now here's the jedi mind trick in the pet section on your lease wright Australian reptiles on licence Species and quantity may vary at any given time. My agent questioned this, my response was at the moment i have 2 bearded dragons and 1 childerns python and may be trading the python for a couple of geckos. Resulting in having to come and upadate the lease for such a small matter realy. They accepted this with no problem. 3 months later inspection time by this stage lets just say well a lot more than a couple of beardies and 1 snake. The lady doing the inspection was mortifed when she had seen my collection at this stage i produced my copy of the lease where it says in black and white AUSTRALIAN REPTILES NUMBERS AND SPECIES MAY VARY AT ANY GIVEN TIME. I won and have been renting this house now for over 2 years and pets still say the same in my lease lol.

These days I think the ladies in the realestate office use my house as a prank on the new girls that come to do the inspection's but all in all no complaints from either party.

P.S. I do stash my rats and mice at a mates just in case. lol

a "broad" is a now somewhat derogatory term for a woman, and was used predominantly in the US during the 20's, often by gangsters. There you go!

Ok, so I had a nice little post written up, then saw the 'broad' comment. Good luck.

LOL I'm only kidding Jen! post away lol!

Dress the lace monitor up in a cat-style outfit (what lacie?), fools even the most force resistant!!

So I guess it all comes down to whether or not I should be up front. I'm thinking I'll go with asking the landlord if I can have "a lizard being kept outdoors in a portable, non-fixed enclosure". Please cross fingers for me everyone! lol

Just say
"my friend is keeping the aviary here for now as they don't have room at their current place, *waves hand* but I have no idea how that large lizard ended up in it. I said I have no idea *wave hand for second time* how that large lizard ended up in it"

I would go with the aviary and lizard option (and wouldn't elaborate). An aviary with a lizard wouldn't be as messy as one with birds with all the seed etc to possibly attract mice, so I can't see why there would be a problem, as long as it was portable and didn't do any damage.

on my lease ( even before i had lizards) i put lizards with licence , ok so i didnt have any and still dont tank is empty til about end Nov but never did i specify what type of lizards or how many..some real estates unless you have heaps and heaps dont actually count reps as pets as it seems feathered and furry pets make more mess and some wander the house and will cause more damage than a caged rep

What if you have to move house and the next doesnt allow pets? what will you and your mate do with all these animals? Can you gaurentee for the next 10 years you will always have a house where you will be allowed to keep it? If the answer is no, save up buy a house then get as many as you want.

Just idle curiousity but how are you going to keep an adult lace monitor warm enough in a portable outside aviary in Melbourne??

That's a pretty good question longqi!! I'd just be upfront with your Real Estate as well. I used to work in a Real Estate Office, and if they'll allow cats they'll allow almost anything. (No, I'm not anti-cat, but it seems the vast majority of landlords are for various reasons). We actually weren't allowed our cat in the property we're in now, but there was no issue with the small fluffy inside dog or a massive fish tank (or 2) or three snakes.

id just hide it on the days there come to inspect, the monitor will take care of the cat problem too, its a win win

Hi longqi!

I've been searching posts and found there are quite a few lacies kept outdoors in my area of Melbourne- I was as surprised as you! I do believe they are native to Victoria though. In answer to your question though, I've found heat mats for dogs/cats that you microwave and they stay a fairly constantly warm temp for around 10hrs. They're about $80 each but I'd get 2 or 3, heat them on cold nights and place them in a shelter inside the aviary. Does this sound feasible? Any feedback welcome, please don't flame me I'm still doing my logistical research by searching threads here and trying not to ask too many stupid questions...

Melbourne gets nasty at times
Long cold days with that fine rain and zero sunshine
On those days and nights you may need to provide a pretty good heating system
A portable aviary sounds pretty small
An adult Lace Monitor will be over 2 metres and they like roaming around when they can
Being portable I take it the aviary will have a mesh base
That means it cannot burrow to stay warm
So get a decent sized hollow log with thick sides
This will help insulate it and keep it warm/cool on the 40C days you will get in summer
Use a thin bladed saw to remove the top section of the log and either hinge it or drop a couple of dowels in the sides to keep it in place
Then you can always get easy access if you need to because if it gets inside and doesnt want to come out you wont have any show of getting it out without access
Never used the dog warmer things so cannot comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back