Housing together after purchasing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Em1986

Reaction score
Hi guys, just a theoretical question for you all.
If you bought a pair of older snakes (not hatchlings etc, adults) and they had always been housed together, would you continue to house them together or house them separately after buying them?
Thanks in advance :)

Hellos Em!
I would house them together and not tell anyone on the net. lol

But in reality... It all depends on the type of snakes and if you have room to separate etc...
Snakes can eat each other , that is not to say they will......

There are to many variables to give you a yes or no answer.

Hi Em yeah if they have been housed together should be ok its just not natural snake behavior but I have seen two adults always housed pemanatly together housed together just always seperate when feeding

:( i MISS you heaps *sniffles*!!!

There is a pair of spotteds 5 and 6yrs old local for sale that are going cheap, housed together, the guy is getting diamonds so needs the room.
Just put an EOI on my 3ft tank/fish on facebook to allow more room hopefully :) If i ditch the fish then i can store the tank etc and my beardie guy has enclosures to sell still too i hope :)

I wrote it as a theoretical question because i didn't want negative comments because i know how people feel about it. They haven't been fed in about a month because the guy has been stuffed around a heap with people saying they are coming to get them and then not showing up and they are semi brumating still!

Not from my beardie guy either so quarantine will need to be followed very strictly when we get the childrens (very soon, before these if i choose to get them) so tubs may be best for the time being to keep things a lot cleaner and avoid contamination.

Post me a thermostat? (i'll pay you) That's all i need to set up temporary tubs, it will probably be quicker and easier than the places here :lol: !!!

Hi Em yeah if they have been housed together should be ok its just not natural snake behavior but I have seen two adults always housed pemanatly together housed together just always seperate when feeding

Yes they will deffinately be separated when fed if i do happen to get them and house them together. I have seen the results of snakes not being separated while being fed and it doesn't look pretty at all :( It actually makes me sick thinking about it and i don't even have snakes yet.

It's personally preference.

IMO snakes are pretty solo in the wild accept when it comes to breeding season - how much can one take when another is in it's face 24/7?!?!?!

My diamonds have always been housed together until I bought them a month ago. I separated them. I kind of feel bad and I hope they don't miss each other (may be a stupid thing to say, but meh!). I didn't want the hassle of taking them out to feed them as I prefer feeding in their enclosures and I wasn't keen on cutting a hole in the double enclosure I have. I was also worried about something bad happening to one of them and didn't want to risk it.

....I still feel bad though

Oh you evil snake breeders... lol (Jk)

Only get the spotteds if you want them Em. There will always be "bargains" around.

I wouldn't put them in a fish tank where you live ( to cold with all the glass)

They are all fessing up now lol.

lol, i put my fish tank/fish up for EOI to sell them to make room for snakies :lol: they wouldn't go in a glass tank don't worry :)

I originall wanted blonde spotteds off my beardie guy but the caramel childrens won and i can't afford to buy both from the beardie guy but this other pair is cheap but then again they don't have the bloodlines and the guy doesn't know if they are blondes or normals (the pics look like blondes though).

I should get some 'bargains' from you when you breed lol. So can you send me a thermostat?

Oh and thanks guys, i guess it's not too unheard of to house together but is still a very touchy taboo subject in the hobby. I think it may risk it a bit too much, they are in shed, no food for a month, new environment etc, stress but then again if i did get them and separate them then decide to house together again i would have to get them used to each other again etc.

I've housed snakes together, personally I think it's fine as long as you keep them well fed, and are willing to accept that one day you may have a eaten snake!

if theyve been housed together successfully id probably leave them together,...as has been mention feed seperately.
i give my 'together pair' a bath between feeding and putting back together,...

I would take into consideration the many variables, like the species of snake, size, gender etc. If it was BHP or a woma it would be a definate no no, because they are reptile eating snakes?? If it were 2 males, another no no. If they were of extremely different sizes i wouldn't do it either. Those are the only things I can think of not to, but IMO snakes should be housed sepoerately, the only reason I can think of housing snakes together is if its temperarilly whilst you make another enclosure.

Will

I would take into consideration the many variables, like the species of snake, size, gender etc. If it was BHP or a woma it would be a definate no no, because they are reptile eating snakes?? If it were 2 males, another no no. If they were of extremely different sizes i wouldn't do it either. Those are the only things I can think of not to, but IMO snakes should be housed sepoerately, the only reason I can think of housing snakes together is if its temperarilly whilst you make another enclosure.

Will

Hey, they are a m/f pair of 5 yr and 6 yr old fully grown spotteds?
May have a tub rack in the works very soon but until then they would be in temporary tubs on top of a piece of melamine that has been routed with a heat cord on top of my enclosure.

Ok, update is that we picked them up yesterday :)
They will be a surprise present for father's day for my dad!
Everything happened really fast, i called my mum on monday to see if she could take me to go get them on tuesday and she said yes and that she wanted them for dad :D The addiction may be rubbing off onto my parents! Here's a couple of quick pics i took, i can share them here because i know my dad won't see them!
They seem to be in quite good condition all things considered and the female looks 'fat' so may be ovulating or in early stages of being gravid.
IMG_3490.jpgIMG_3492.jpg The female is on the right in the pics, they haven't been fed in over a month now. Does she look fatter than she should normally be? The guy's dad said she was a bit lumpy and seemed worried about it. I haven't handled her other than supporting her body as she was going from the little container we picked her up in to the tub and i couldn't feel any lumps. Also can anyone say for certain from these pics if they are normals or blondes? The photos were taken with a flash inside a cardboard box (temporary hide for them). They have both recently shed too so they are nice and shiny :) I will have to take some better pics to try to show her stretched out next to him to show the difference in size/fatness. They are in a tub together for the time being as there is only a few weeks until father's day, i am just glad they will be going to my dad and will be looked after very well!

I also wanted to say a massive thanks to everyone that has helped with this :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back