Finding a male carpet to breed with

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan_dragon

Reaction score
Hey all,

Whats the best way to go about finding an adult male for our girl? We don't want to buy one just need to find someone reasonably local that has a sire.

I guess we either then pay them with eggs/hatchies or a sire fee?

Anyone had any experience doing this?

Thanks!

each time ive seen threads like this no one is prepared to risk the spread of diseases from an unknown snake,.... (thats not saying urs has diseases, but OPMV doesnt show u till the necropsy, that goes both ways, their snake to urs too,....)

Why do you want to breed?

We are getting a set of GTP's this year and would like to try breeding the carpet in the next couple of seasons to get used to snake breeding (as opposed to lizard breeding) before trying to breed them in a few years time...

each time ive seen threads like this no one is prepared to risk the spread of diseases from an unknown snake,.... (thats not saying urs has diseases, but OPMV doesnt show u till the necropsy, that goes both ways, their snake to urs too,....)

It's really sad that thought didn't even enter my mind, our snake is well cared for and I'm guessing now we will want vet checks etc before we do anything like this....sounds like it will be easier to just buy another carpet and have it checked etc before putting it with her. :(

Guys if I buy one instead, if our girl is about 8ft long how big does the male need to be? (there is a 6" one for sale about 20mins drive from our house).

Last edited:
Sorry to inform you but a "Vet" check will not tell you if a snake is carrying
any of the pathogens Eg- IBD or OPMV etc.

This is why people who purchase new snakes choose to "Quarantine" them as far away form and existing collection for as long as possible. 8-12 months is a good term to start.

If the diseases don't show up until post mortem how on earth do you buy anything without taking the chance? Even if you quarantine them? Do the diseases kill the snakes within a certain timeframe?

Guys if I buy one instead, if our girl is about 8ft long how big does the male need to be? (there is a 6" one for sale about 20mins drive from our house).[/QUOTE]

a 6ft male will be fine i have had 3-4 ft male mate 9-10ft females

Thanks Chondros, am not sure about it now though given we are in the process of purchasing our GTP's and not willing to risk them or the other snakes we already have...Sigh

Oh bugger - does that mean it's a bad idea to let my python go out to play at his mates house.......:rolleyes:

And talk about hard to get laid - especially in a one snake house...:shock::shock::shock:

My adult Mac not been in brumation the last few months,he has a tantrum every year because he is 'involuntary celibate' because of that guy that stares at him through the glass.

Thanks Chondros, am not sure about it now though given we are in the process of purchasing our GTP's and not willing to risk them or the other snakes we already have...Sigh

Keep in mind you will still have to quarantine any new additions for preferably 12 months or more as stated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back